MacbookPro (2012) upgrading RAM (slots free?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Dear all,

I own a 13” (mid 2012) Macbook Pro (2,5 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk) and I was thinking about upgrading the RAM.

I did some research and found out that Apple ”recommends” max 8GB, while other say (and proof) that it can support 16GB as well.

Questions
1- As far as I know my Macbook Pro has 2 memory RAM slots, are they set as 2x 2GB or is there one 4GB slot and one empty RAM slot

2- Depending on the previous answer (in case it has one slot with 4GB) can I add 8GB in the other slot getting to 12GB in total?

2- In case it has 2x 2GB (in 2 occupied RAM slots), can I take 1x 2GB out, and add 8GB in order to get to 10GB of RAM?

I want to increase my RAM (but not to 8GB, but also not 16GB over 2 RAM slots). This is why I was thinking to have either 10GB (2GB from Apple installed + 8GB) or 12GB (4GB installed from Apple in one slot + 8GB additional),

This scenario depends if someone can enlighten me how the current installed RAM (4GB) is installed in my Macbook (as 2x 2GB with no free slots or as 1x 4GB with one empty slot). Or is there just one memory slot with 1x 4GB (therefore if upgrading I can only install 1x 8GB) )

Looking forward to your advise

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first thing to do is see what you currently have installed. To do this...go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report

Then click on "Memory" in the left hand column. This will tell you what you currently have installed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Can't really help you on a recommendation for how much RAM to put in your MBP, but to see how much memory is in each slot, click the Apple icon in the upper left and choose "about this mac" from the drop down. Then hit "system report" on the window that comes up and click on "memory" in the sidebar. That will tell you how much you have in your slots and whether both are filled. They probably are. I'm betting you have 2 gigs in each slot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
The first thing to do is see what you currently have installed. To do this...go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report

Then click on "Memory" in the left hand column. This will tell you what you currently have installed.

- Nick

Nick, sorry for not being smarter ....;-)

ECC: Disabled

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80AD

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80AD

Is it then an option/recommended to remove just 2GB out of one slot, and put 8GB in there so I get to 10GB? It wouldnt make any sense to buy 8GB + 4GB and get to 12, and be left with 2x 2GB RAM which will remain useless. It seems an odd number (2+8 = 10GB), but I assume it does work. Or does it matter to have one low amount of RAM in one slot (2GB) and one high(er) amount of RAM (8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3) in the other?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it then an option/recommended to remove just 2GB out of one slot, and put 8GB in there so I get to 10GB? It wouldnt make any sense to buy 8GB + 4GB and get to 12, and be left with 2x 2GB RAM which will remain useless. It seems an odd number (2+8 = 10GB), but I assume it does work. Or does it matter to have one low amount of RAM in one slot (2GB) and one high(er) amount of RAM (8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3) in the other?

In many cases when someone owns a MacBook Pro...both ram slots are filled with matching ram modules...in your case...2 x 2gig. Also (in many cases)...when someone does a ram upgrade...they purchase matching ram upgrade modules. In your case that would be 2 x 4gig or 2 x 8gig.

Then the old ram modules are sold (for very little)...or kept just in case there's a problem with the new ram (at some point in the future)...then the old ram can be reinstalled. But in many cases...the new ram works fine...and you never need the old ram.

So in almost all cases...that old ram is useless. Sure someone can be thrifty...and try to use that old ram (as you are suggesting). But if someone NEEDS more than 10 gig of ram...then the old ram simply cannot be reused. Just the way it goes with upgrading the ram.

Now when upgrading you don't absolutely need to install matching pairs of ram. You could do as you suggested...leave one 2gig ram module installed...and purchase a single 8gig ram module...leaving you with a total of 10gig. And if you decide later to upgrade the ram again...then you can purchase another 8gig ram module...for a total of 16gig.

I think that many folks simply like to upgrade the ram once (get it all done in one shot)...and having perfectly matching pairs of ram probably does guarantee the best compatibility & performance.

But what you suggest will work (2gig + 8gig = 10 gig)...and it does not matter how the slots are filled.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the advise, very much appreciated. I think I will go for the 8GB memory upgrade in one of the 2 slots. Installing RAM costs me 4,5 EURO here (at an Apple authorised re-seller) or I could even try it myself (but why bother if it costs less than 5 EURO) :))

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a plan!:)

Enjoy,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.