Unsure if should buy Mac Mini or Imac - New/Used?

Reaction score
Hi,
I need a bit of advice for what to buy on my modest budget.
A bit of background on what I need…….I need to use it for photo editing using the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom and a couple of plugins such is Nik Silver EFEX Pro (working with RAW files).
I will also use it for the usual browsing and downloading etc but not for gaming.
I am coming from a PC which has just died but I have used Macs previously.
Now my budget………I was looking at possibly buying either the Dual Core Mac Mini or paying the extra and getting the Quad Core version and maxing out the RAM at a later date.
I will be looking at getting an AOC IPS 23’’ monitor and adding an Apple mouse and keyboard.
My budget is going to be around £700.
Can anyone confirm if I would be better off getting maybe a used iMac or a used Mac Mini and maxing that out? If so which versions/year would you suggest?
Many thanks,
Al

C

chas_m

I'd get the iMac, since you're buying a screen and mouse and keyboard anyway. Why not take a look at the refurbished section of Apple's website?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, I should have been clearer.
I would only but the monitor and keyboard if buying the mini.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is there a cut off going back as to older models that would suit?
I dont want get an older model that wont run the apps needed.

C

chas_m

You'd probably want something new or very recent, which is why I'd suggest the refurbished store. Anything from mid-2011 and up should be fine for your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Now here is something to consider. The iMac has a better quality IPS display that is also color, contrast and gamma calibrated. So your photos will look correct.
That being said. the Apple Thunderbolt and Cinema displays are still TFT and my biggest issue is that the height on them is shorter then the iMacs display if you want to go dual monitors in the future.

I for one have never seen a good AOC monitor for photography. They are fine for gaming and watching movies. Now I love Apple, but I dont understand their thinking on their current displays pricing. You can get a Samsung 700 USD cheaper then the equivalent TB or Cinema display. Now I love the TB and USB hubs built in. But not 700 more dollars love.
I run dual displays. You will find this very helpful when you get used to photo editing.
I have 2 Samsung Series3 LED displays, yes they are TFT. But I spent only 200USD on each here in the philippines. Did take some slight color, contrast and gamma calibration. But after I got that done they are breath taking.

Your Mac Mini will support dual monitors, one on TB/Display port and the other on a HDMI port.

Also as far as upgrading later. While both are easy to upgrade RAM, a Mac Mini is easier to upgrade hard drive if you rather go SSD like I did. Though a few video tutorials is highly recommended. Now CPU upgrading is out of the question. What ever you choose now you will be stuck with.
At the time I got my mini, iMacs had a slower CPU (only i5 at the time) and I wanted the fastest i7. But I do believe they got refreshed since then. So they are basically the same with the exception of the iMac have a separate nVidia GPU inside. But since your not into gaming then integrated (iGPU) of the Intel HD4000 is more then enough graphics power for Photoshop. Lightroom is still currently only using the CPU for rendering.

So my suggestion is get the MacMini with a better brand of display(s).
Or get a iMac if you only want one display and this is the only way to get a quality display.

Final thoughts.
Get a Mac Mini with max CPU, 1TB HDD and 4GB RAM and better displays.
Buy 16GB of Crucial Mac Certified Ram. Crucial off new egg.com is 160USD, Ram from Apple is 400USD.
Later on when prices on 1TB SSD drop (hopefully by next year) then upgrade to one of those.

But dont skimp on the display quality. What may look good to you on your display may look horrible on everyone elses that got their monitor calibrated.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for awesome post and advice.
I do think I will go down the Mac Mini route, however do I need to be looking at the i7 or will the i5 with 16gb of ram be powerful enough?
Also regarding that Samsung monitor, I can’t actually find anywhere in the UK that stocks it…..maybe its discontinued now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
i7 has better processing power. 8 virtual cores -vs- i5 4 cores. Note they are both 4 cores, but the i7 makes more use of the 4. If that makes sense. Go with the i7 without a doubt.
8GB is plenty good. Thats what I run now and have no issues working with 10,000 x 5,000 pixel or larger panorama photos. You can always buy ram from another source later on and upgrade later saving you money.
Remember a quality monitor is important here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Brilliant, thats my mind made up on the Mac, now for the monitor.
If you have a moment could you cast your eye on these and see if any stand out as an option?
Group test: what's the best budget LCD display? - PC Advisor

This is a Top 5 display's article...they're all supposed to be good. Prices are £119 to £195. That's a pretty big difference. Maybe you can decide what features you need...and that will help you decide.

Personally I don't think that I will ever purchase a new monitor again. Lots of perfectly good used LCD or LED monitors out there...and you can save a ton of money buying used.

IF you NEEDED specific features that couldn't be found when buying used...then buying new makes sense. But otherwise for general computer use...buy used.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
This is a Top 5 display's article...they're all supposed to be good. Prices are £119 to £195. That's a pretty big difference. Maybe you can decide what features you need...and that will help you decide.

Personally I don't think that I will ever purchase a new monitor again. Lots of perfectly good used LCD or LED monitors out there...and you can save a ton of money buying used.

IF you NEEDED specific features that couldn't be found when buying used...then buying new makes sense. But otherwise for general computer use...buy used.

- Nick

Thanks Nick,
If I went down the used route (may even go used on the Mac) any models in particular that you would look at?
Al

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick,
If I went down the used route (may even go used on the Mac) any models in particular that you would look at?
Al

Nothing in particular. Really...a monitor is a monitor. Just like a TV. If you look at it...and it looks good...then it's a good monitor. What you can look for is:

- what size do you need
- and special features desired...like (height adjustment, tilt, etc.)
- included ports (DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc.)
- built-in speakers (less common)
- built-in camera (rare)

If you were a video, graphics, or photography professional...a higher quality monitor might be in order (but then you would also pay for it). But when someone is a "general purpose user"...really...most monitors (used or new) will work fine.

So you shop based on necessary features, size, and price.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Nothing in particular. Really...a monitor is a monitor. Just like a TV. If you look at it...and it looks good...then it's a good monitor. What you can look for is:

- what size do you need
- built-in camera (rare)

If you were a video, graphics, or photography professional...a higher quality monitor might be in order (but then you would also pay for it). But when someone is a "general purpose user"...really...most monitors (used or new) will work fine.

- Nick

Thanks,
Only photography...not professional (sold probs about 500 pics). Its mainly a hobby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- what size do you need
- built-in camera (rare)

- Nick

Very true. My monitors S23B300B - TECH SPECS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG are not expensive. But generally lower cost monitors are hit or miss. Some are better for games, others better for AV/Photo. Just find one you like, look up reviews on the internet.
I know I stick with certain brands, Samsung and ASUS mainly as for displays. I however do have an Westinghouse LED TV that has awesome color and contrast.
Check out AnandTech and Hardware Central for reviews or just do a google search for "best LCD monitors photography". That should give you a starting point.. My internet is crazy here at the moment.. My ISPs main HQ had a m7.2 earth quake yesterday..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.