Problem Installing OS On New Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have replaced the hard drive on my Macbook Pro, i partitioned the drive and went to install Lion 10.7, it was going well and downloading additions bits for install, it was going to take a while to so i left it be. I had a power cut and the laptop died before the install finished, when i powered it back up it ejected the cd. Now i can't get to reinstall OS, every time i put a cd in it just throws it back out. It is a new Macbook for i doubt the optical drive has gone.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What CD as Lion was not released on a CD or DVD? If you downloaded Lion from the App Store, boot into Recovery, check out the hard drive, and download again f.o.c. For what it is worth the optical drive could have indeed failed if a spike/brown out occurred.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Harry pointed out, Lion (nor Mountain Lion) is available on disk. If you have Lion on disk, it's either one you made from the App Store download, or an illegal copy. A bootable DVD can be made from the Mac App store download. Mountain Lion requires an 8 GB flash drive as it's a larger download.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi guys thats for the help, i got it sorted, the drive ended up kicking in and i managed to get a cleaning disc on it, it seems to have done the trick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.