Opinions on a new MBP for Photography

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Time is approaching for me to replace my 2007 MBP, and soliciting input/opinions.

My current setup is a 2013 Mac Mini upstairs as a digital photography workstation and network server. Media files are on external USB 3.0 and FireWire HDs display is 27in Viewsonic Monitor. Epson flatbed and Fujitsu sheet scanners.
Downstairs have my iPad and 15in MBP, and I tend to use those far more often than my workstation.
Software: Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, PSE, Perfect Suite 7.0, Aperture etc

Already know I don't want to go smaller than 15, and if Apple would resurrect the 17in MBP I would probably go for it.
My main question is Retina or non-Retina?

Waiting to see if the MBP gets spec bumped this month. If it does, will be either picking up a close-out older model or popping for a new release.

Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have the 17" MBP. Seeing as they dont have that one any longer, I would default to the Retina. I want as much screen real estate as possible. However, I would wait for the next release, even if it comes out in the spring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I vote retina because there is a difference viewing photos on my MBP and my iPad4 the iPad looks better.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys.
I am leaning Retina as well, but still hesitate because of the upgrade ability/repairibilty issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
That's why I would wait on the next refresh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I vote retina because there is a difference viewing photos on my MBP and my iPad4 the iPad looks better.

I totally agree.. Even on my iPod Touch 5th gen its amazing.

I do photography as a hobby. Mind you everything I do I tend to go overboard with.

My Mac Mini (specs below) runs Lightroom5, CS6, and Photomatix Pro with ease.

I love Mac, but iPhoto is only good for your Moms photos (no pun intended, not for real photographers.) Aperture needs a serious update. Its not worth purchasing.

That said, Lightroom 5 is pretty much my main software for processing almost all my photos and organizing them. Its very powerful and economically priced at about 150 USD, but you can get it cheaper. I got mine on sale for 135 USD. I seldom need CS6 for anything unless I am just messing around or need to stitch a panoramic photo together, which is does wonderfully. I also have Photomatix Pro for use on HDR photos. But its actually fairly cheap at about 30 USD.

Lightroom 5 pretty much does it all. For what you get with this software and what you can do with it, the value is very low. I am shocked Adobe doesnt try to charge more. This is what the pros use, but its easy enough a beginner can be kicking out professional looking images after only a tutorial or two on youtube.

Now many travel and professional photographers like Serge Ramelli use a MBP with Lightroom, PMP and CS6 without any issues. I even have LR5 on my wife's 13" MBA and it runs great.

But one thing I would like to say, retina is better color and contrast. Plus more screen real-estate to get the image on the screen.

Reaction score
I have a retina MBP and can highly recommend it for photowork. Its much better than the normal MBP for this. I have a 2009 MBP and although the screen is calibrated and profiled it only comes close to my iMac for comparison. The image is slightly warmer than the correct image on the iMac. the rMBP is virtually a match.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the refresh is here.... I guess if you want to spend $2599.00 you can have a 15" Retina with dual graphics and 16 GB of memory and a 512 GB flash drive. About as good as it can get for photo work.

Or go for a new 27" iMac. No retina screen but with that monster you won't need it. ;)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the refresh is here.... I guess if you want to spend $2599.00 you can have a 15" Retina with dual graphics and 16 GB of memory and a 512 GB flash drive. About as good as it can get for photo work.

Or go for a new 27" iMac. No retina screen but with that monster you won't need it. ;)

Actually, I'm considering going with the 13in Retina MBP for a variety of reasons. Depends on how well using my HDTV as a full screen monitor with Mavericks turns out. Will try it out this weekend and then decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
I just went through this dilemma myself. I ended up ordering the 13" rMBP with the i7 and 16GB ram to use with aperture.
Waiting for a refresh on the 27" Thunderbolt Display. Hopefully it won't be too long, and maybe even 4k.

Reaction score
Would seriously recommend the Retina model. I have an 2008 MBP and a 2012 rMBP. The screen is far more accurate even with the older model calibated and profiled. MyrMPB when calibrated made only a slight change to colour comparing it the the "out of the box" calibration. Only major change was a drop in screen brightness to match my iMac.

i7 processor is seriously fast with apps that handle mulit threading

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.