Mac mini running hot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Hey guys, first post. My mid 2010 Mac mini seems to be running hot. The top of the unit feels hot, and the CPU is at 171 degrees. CPU heatsink is 155 degrees. I don't remember it running this hot before. Is this normal or do I have a problem developing? Thanks all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't remember it running this hot before.

This is one of the keys to these sort of concerns. Maybe the Mac-Mini has always been running at these temps...and you never noticed before. The temps you mentioned are not unusual.

It is always possible for dirt/fuzz to build up over time...which can effect cooling air flow. Only way to know is to open it up and check.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Thank you Nick for the quick reply. I will open it up to see if anything is blocking air flow.
I'm glad to know the temps are normal though. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
When was the last time you blew the dust out of it?
And do you have something running in the background for long periods of time?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blew the dust out today. There wasn't much in it as I try to blow it out fairly frequently.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the temp for awhile to see if anything's going on. It's nice to know that it's normal though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How and where is it placed? If it's in a small enclosed space and/or on a surface that would trap heat in, you'll want to change that. Make sure that it's in a well ventilated place on a hard surface.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is sitting on top of the computer desk. No obstructions at all in any direction. It's interesting, the CPU is 110 degrees right now, and the top of the Mini is cool to the touch. It was 171 degrees last night and the top of the Mini was hot to the touch.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is sitting on top of the computer desk. No obstructions at all in any direction. It's interesting, the CPU is 110 degrees right now, and the top of the Mini is cool to the touch. It was 171 degrees last night and the top of the Mini was hot to the touch.

Different computing tasks will have a different effect on how hard the cpu & gpu are being used. If you're playing games or watching internet videos (for example)...these tasks will definitely heat things up.

If you're just checking e-mail...or general internet surfing...it will be much cooler.

- Nick

C

chas_m

The fact that it is still operating normally should be telling you that it is functioning as designed.

You don't need to micro-manage this stuff. Everything's fine, and Apple know what they are doing.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact that it is still operating normally should be telling you that it is functioning as designed.

You don't need to micro-manage this stuff. Everything's fine, and Apple know what they are doing.

That's why I love Apple. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.