File Management

Reaction score
I am new to MAC. I am accustomed to arranging data files in Windows on my PC in the "My Documents" File. How do I build a system of data files similar on the MAC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mac will have a "Documents" folder by default which is located in your user's folder under your user name. You can use the Finder to build sub folders in your Documents folder for whatever you need.

Note that most Mac applications will keep their respective data in a separate folder in your User Library (which is hidden) under "Application Support".

One thing to keep in mind.... Mac OS X is NOT Windows. Forget how you did things in Windows. Doing things in OS X is much easier and pretty much automatic. Most Windows users who are new to the Mac platform want to mess with the file system or whatever. The best advice we can give you is don't do it. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.