Downloading Office for Mac

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro (10.8.5). I've just bought Office for Mac (the student/home version) online. I click the download button and the download appears in my download folder. I click on the download icon, and get the following window - Warning - The following disc images couldn't be opened : X18-08827.dmg not recognised. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like a corrupt download. Are you sure the download is finishing? How long is the download taking? With Office it should take a while anyway.

OP
F
Reaction score
Office for mac

It sounds like a corrupt download. Are you sure the download is finishing? How long is the download taking? With Office it should take a while anyway.

The Office for Mac download goes into the downloads file in a couple of seconds. But then does nothing. Thanks very much for replying!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you post the URL where you are downloading this? It sure sounds way too fast. I will try it here and see what is going on!

I think I found the URL and the down loader is under 1Meg! Going to my Mac to see what happens.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick Question. Are you downloading this on the Mac? I just tried the URL and on OSX and the DMG was over 1.2GB and here with my slowish DSL would take 45 minutes!

What version of OSX? What Mac model? Are you using Safari? On the PC the download was under 1kb.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I downloaded it at the end of the Summer and the 1.2 GB file size sounds about right.

@OP Make sure to wait for the download to finish. You can open the download folder but do not click on the file until the download finishes. While downloading Safari places a blue line at the bottom of the icon.

OP
F
Reaction score
OP
F
Reaction score
Quick Question. Are you downloading this on the Mac? I just tried the URL and on OSX and the DMG was over 1.2GB and here with my slowish DSL would take 45 minutes!

What version of OSX? What Mac model? Are you using Safari? On the PC the download was under 1kb.

OSX 10.8.5. A MacBook Pro. And yes, I'm using Safari.

OP
F
Reaction score
Office for Mac

I downloaded it at the end of the Summer and the 1.2 GB file size sounds about right.

@OP Make sure to wait for the download to finish. You can open the download folder but do not click on the file until the download finishes. While downloading Safari places a blue line at the bottom of the icon.

Ha ha. Yes - very good. I know the dinosaur feeling... I think the darn thing never properly downloaded. Something flashed from the Microsoft page to my downloads file when I clicked 'download now', but when I came to open it, there was no response ATALL. It was dead to the world (like a dinosaur).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you have already purchased the software there are a few things you can try. One of them should get the job done.

1. Shortly after the purchase I believe Microsoft still sends out an e-mail with the download link to the file you need. Check your e-mail, including junk mail, to see if you have received that If I am not mistaken it also contains the activation code.

2. If you have your activation code already try this page

3. If the problem persists I would give Microsoft support a shout.

There used to be a trial version of the software on the Microsoft site. It worked for thirty dials then to activate it all you needed was to purchase an activation code. Which you have if you have purchased the software. That link doesn't seem to still be active.

I researched and Dennis solved the problem. Foiled again. lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Sly, you gave a lot of good info! Don't sell yourself short! :D

In fact I would trust your 2nd URL over what I gave as it asks for the code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes Sly the email is sent with the product key of twenty-five characters. You enter the product key and proceed with the download via your link line 2.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes Sly the email is sent with the product key of twenty-five characters. You enter the product key and proceed with the download via your link line 2.

Hello SlyDude and DTravis

Thanks so much for your help. All is now well. I was trying to download the file in the country at the end of a very thin Broadband connection. The File is HUGE. For 10 minutes after I pressed the button, it was inert, dead, pushing up the daisies. When I got to London today, suddenly life stirred in the download folder, and after a while, the Download was there - more than a gigabyte of it. I had called Office Support and they were very friendly and helpful, but their input was not needed. Thank you so much for your interest. Lesson learned, leave big downloads for town. Cheers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have thought of that. I've had it happen a few times with a poor connection. BTW I suggest burning that file to DVD along with a file contains the activation code. Use a program like Toast or Burn to burn a Mac data disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.