Copying iTunes library from one external HD to another external HD.....

Reaction score
I currently have my iTunes library on an external HD for use with my MacBook Pro (15" retina), because my library is over 70GB and my total SSD storage on the MBP is only 250GB. This works very well, no issues with it.

But I just built a monster gaming rig (PC), and I want to have all of my music on that PC. I will install iTunes on the PC.

The problem I'm running into is that within OSx, there doesn't seem to be any way of copying and pasting the library from one external HD to another - I was going to then transfer the library from the second ext HD to my iTunes on the PC. I can choose "copy" from the external HD that holds my library, but there is no "paste" function on the menu when I try to paste it to the other ext HD. This is quite infuriating.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah....the MBP is running the latest version of Mountain Lion. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming your second hard drive that you wish to copy the library to is formatted as either NTFS or FAT-32 since you wish to use it with your gaming PC?

If the second hard drive is formatted to NTFS you will be unable to write to it without a driver installed to OS X. If it's FAT-32 you should have no problem writing to it.

Which is it?

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
I'm assuming your second hard drive that you wish to copy the library to is formatted as either NTFS or FAT-32 since you wish to use it with your gaming PC?

If the second hard drive is formatted to NTFS you will be unable to write to it without a driver installed to OS X. If it's FAT-32 you should have no problem writing to it.

Which is it?

The second hard drive is NTFS.

Where can I find the OS X driver?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only driver we recommend is Paragon NTFS from Paragon Software. It's $19.95 for a license and well worth the price. Go here.

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I'll buy it when I get home, and post my results here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.