Air or MacBooPro

Reaction score
I need to by a new laptop, and I am doubting between the 13inch air and the 13 inch macbookpro.
I need to run the regular writing software, everyday programs, internet etc. AND I need to run Final Cut Pro 7 (not the X, I will stick with the 7 as the X works uncomfortably for me).
I currently have a macbook 2GB dual intel core from late 2007. I can run FCP7 on it, but with some delays and with some graphic shortcomings, especially when rendering effects etc. My reasons for considering the air is that I travel quite a lot, carrying my computer (and two small children, so the weight makes a difference).

Any thoughts, experiences or recommedations? Is the better processor really worth the heavier weight? I am not editing full time, but do need it on a professional level, even if it is only occasionally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When it comes to editing video I would buy the most processor and ram your budget can afford along with the highest resolution screen.
If you can hold out to the end of the month I believe the new MacBook Pros will have the new chips and 802.11ac and maybe a surprise or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would take OSXX's suggestion and wait till the end of the month to see the specs of the new MBP.
Personally, I bought a maxed out 13" MBA ( i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD ) 4 weeks ago and I love this machine ... and the battery life .... and the weight etc.
I am doing some light editing work and this machine handles this well.
My previous machine was a 2008 17" MBP , but I will take this MBA anytime ... it's a no brainer for me.

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

Please note there is no guarantee that FCP 7 will run on any new machine. It should, but there's no guarantee.

If you're doing a LOT of FCP work, I'd lean towards the MBP over the MBA, but both machines should be able to handle it (the MBA will need lots of RAM of course).

And whatever you think of FCP X (and I didn't think very much of it when it first came out ... iMovie 07 all over again, I thought ... but a couple of updates later and you'll notice the bellyaching has completely gone away ... just like iMovie ...), the future is that way --> not that way <-- so if you rely on this software you may need to learn to like it ... or one of its competitors ... to stay current.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.