clean up mac

Reaction score
is the TuneupMyMac app recommended? Already I have a ? mark on my toolbar. I don't know why (maybe something to do with losing and then regaining the iphoto app)?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not a "recommended" app around here.
The recommendation is mostly "do not install" any of those type of apps.

Starting off with some terminology so those trying to assist can help you a little easier.

The bar that is always displayed across the top of your screen is called the Menu bar.
The icons/apps displayed at the bottom is called the Dock.
A "toolbar" would normally be the top line of a specific application window - like the Finder - it has it's own toolbar separate from the Menu bar.

Where is this question mark?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What happens when you click on it?

If nothing - just click on it and drag it off the dock and let go - it will go up in a puff of smoke - it will not delete anything from your computer - only that icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
annw1, you could open Disk Utility and have it Repair Disk (might be grayed out, in which case you can only Verify) and Repair Permissions. That can help some issues.

Really, though, if you are having problems, post what the problem is, then we can help better. I never run any of those cleaner apps, it simply should not be necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I never run any of those cleaner apps, it simply should not be necessary.

This isn't completely true.To be totally honest i think Disk Utility could be so much more than what Apple has made it, but myself and many many others here, recommend either Oynx or Main Menu to run the full Maintenance Script once every few months, or before there is any software update, just to bring everything back into line.

As i said, DU could be so much more powerful than it it, and it was demonstrated by me, running Repair Disk Permissions, and i still had problems, and then i ran the full Script of Main Menu and my Mac purred along for 6 mths. . . . I would tell people to use one of those listed above before Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Another vote for OnyX - and it's free! [I hope the French guy who writes it gets some sort of Nobel recognition.]

Incidentally, OnyX does a whole lot more than just Repair Permissions, Scripts etc. It's well worth spending an hour or more with, to determine and utilise its full capabilities.

OP
A
Reaction score
I downloaded a free app - 'photos duplicate cleaner'- to get rid of many duplicates in iphoto. This threw up TuneUpmyMac which did a free scan and noted I had 1598 'issues'. I didn't buy but thought I should be 'cleaning up' my mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.