well

what is faster

the intel imac or the powermac g5

both the basic spec.

which one is better valie for money?

thanks chris tm :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Performance-wise, the PowerMac is still faster than the Intel iMac, but I would say that the iMac (G5 or Intel) is better value for money, as you get the whole package with screen, BT and Airport.

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it...

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Avalon said:
Performance-wise, the PowerMac is still faster than the Intel iMac, but I would say that the iMac (G5 or Intel) is better value for money, as you get the whole package with screen, BT and Airport.

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it...

i will be using it for - school work, music, dvds, internet, aMSN, google earth, dreamweaver, office etc..

please keep the suggestions coming!

:mac:

thanks,
chris tm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you don't need a powermac to do just that. powermacs are more for the professional applications, such as video editing and photo

Reaction score
and it would depend on what powermac g5 you would have. but yes.. for what you want to do..

BUT there is something you need to keep in mind on this..

UNIVESAL software.. will not be available for at least 6 months or more.. they will run under rosetta.. but will not run natively.. in that case.. so they will run under emulation and may not runn to its full potential. i would get the imac G5..
something else to think about.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
thelox714 said:
and it would depend on what powermac g5 you would have. but yes.. for what you want to do..

BUT there is something you need to keep in mind on this..

UNIVESAL software.. will not be available for at least 6 months or more.. they will run under rosetta.. but will not run natively.. in that case.. so they will run under emulation and may not runn to its full potential. i would get the imac G5..
something else to think about.

ok thanks for that, and thanks to all the other sites and replies. keep them coming. cheers chris tm :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Seeing the actual price of the 20" iMac G5 ($1499,-), I would say go for it. It's a lot of value for the money, you get the whole package with a nice 20" screen, 250GB HD, Superdrive, Airport and BT. And everything running natively on it, no Rosetta emulation.
Add about $100,- for 1GB of memory, and you will have a really nice setup that easily fit your needs, and is fast.

And no trouble with Rev.A hardware issues, which Apple (and other companies) seem to be unable to avoid. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Unless you're planning on running super high end pro apps, go with the iMac...overall it's a far better value, and in many cases, faster than the Powermac.

Hard to say that, since I have a dual core Powermac, but it's the truth. ;)

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
How would an iMac cope with running Photoshop Elements 3.0? Or do I need a Powermac for this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Say_Cheese said:
How would an iMac cope with running Photoshop Elements 3.0? Or do I need a Powermac for this??
It should be fine (will be a tiny bit slower then PPC due to Rosetta). Even with the speed trade off the iMac is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
As said, the G5's are designed with Pro Apps in mind.

If your worried about future proofing, go witht the Intel. Rosetta speeds shouldn't really affect you with what you want the Mac to do.

Steve Jobs has said that their target is to have ALL Macs on Intels by the end of '06...

(but then again... I am biased!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The better value for the money would be the iMac by far.
And something to keep in mind.... "faster" does not always equate to "better".

A

aitebar

Hey guys, i have almost the same question but a lil bit different.

i m learning editing on FCP. so what system do u guys recommend to me.

i divided the scale as BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCE.

So for ADVANCE EDITING WHAT SYSTEM DO U GUYS RECOMMEND? which will even help me in future too.

One more question?

What is the difference between PANTHER 10.3 and TIGER X 10.4. are they the same of different software. is the 10.4 advance from panther 10.3 or something else

NEED HELP GUYS.

Z

zap2

PowerMac is faster, but the iMac is a better deal for the speed you get! However when intel PM come, they better really step it up, because the speed from G5 iMac/PB G4 to MacBook Pro and iMac intel is ALOT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, DP 1.8GHZ, 1 Gb RAM
zap2 said:
PowerMac is faster, but the iMac is a better deal for the speed you get! However when intel PM come, they better really step it up, because the speed from G5 iMac/PB G4 to MacBook Pro and iMac intel is ALOT!

I'm with you on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.