This article, pretty well sums it up, why im into Apple Hardware. . . . And the code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Why is Apple the only one capable of making iPhone-class devices?

I think this epitomises why i love the Apple line of products, be it the iPhone, iPad Mini, MBP and so on. Rene is a little bit one sided when it comes to his Apple articles, but honestly, i think he has hit the nail on the head with this one.
He does also not give Android, HTC, Samsung and Nokia a kick in the guts, as each of those products do have something that is just right for each and everyone of them, but at the end of the day, from the A6 chip up, the iPhone from the 3/3G is just a beautiful phone. Im happy and one of the lucky ones, that loves iOS as it does everything i need it to do, and does it well, and even iOS 7, im not getting giddy, sick or nauseous from the movement of the screen zoom hahaha (sorry it still makes me laugh at this 39pge Thread) . . . . Anyways i reckon he says it well . . :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rene is a little bit one sided when it comes to his Apple articles
That's an understatement. ;)

How many other manufacturers are capable of spinning their own, custom silicone like the Apple A6 and Apple A7?
Samsung build its own chips for their phones. Not knowing this doesn't get him off to a good start.

Most just throw whatever Qualcomm's making into their phones.
Qualcomm makes the baseband for Apple. They did it for the iPhone 5 (here) for example.

How many other manufacturers are capable of shrinking down a camera to fit into the ludicrously thin chassis of the iPhone 5 series?
The iPhone 5s is 7.6mm thick, the Galaxy S4 is 7.9mm and the HTC One is more than 9mm thick. So, in terms of the "big" players, it is the thinnest (barely compared to the S4) but that fails to recognize that phones such as the Droid Razr, a two year old phone, were smaller (that phone was 7.1mm thick). This is not to mention the Huawei Ascend P1s which is a ridiculous 6.7mm thick (that's getting way too thin!). So, it would seem that at least Motorola and Huawei can fit a camera into a chassis that thin.

How many other manufacturers are capable of producing displays as advanced as the in-cell Retina? Some go OLED and even PenTile to save battery life and improve yield rates at the expense of image and color fidelity
That's not only a subjective call but it also neglects the quality of displays elsewhere. So, a variety of other developers can do this.

How many other manufacturers are capable of producing aluminium unibody chassises?
The fact that he isn't aware of the HTC One here makes me think he doesn't know what he's talking about.

How many other manufacturers are capable of engineering 10 hours of battery life on a phone that small?
LG gets nearly 14 from the G2 (here) and Samsung gets 11 from the Note 3 (here). Sure, they're larger than the iPhone 5s but they also have larger screens and internals to manage. So, I'm not sure what the size qualification here is supposed to prove.

And other companies do great things as well. Nokia's build quality is amazing. But they don't make their own chips. Samsung's processors are impressive. But their build quality still tends towards the creaky. HTC's panels and speakers are fantastic. But they don't make their own operating system. They each have priorities and areas of excellence. But none of then, so far, have seen the value in doing all of the pieces Apple's done, including design from the chipset on up, manufacturing from the machinery on down, and experience from the atoms to the bits.
*cough* unrestrained fanboyism *cough*. First, Apple doesn't make everything despite what this guy wants to say. So, the criticism of Nokia is ridiculous. The critique of Samsung is subjective and contains no empirical proof (say what you will about the whole package that is their phone but their mobile processors are pretty solid). The critique of HTC not making their own OS? That's a critique that could be shared with just about every other developer so it makes me think that he doesn't have a valid entry point for critiquing their phones.

But as it stands today, no one, not Samsung, not Nokia, not HTC, not Motorola, not BlackBerry, not anyone else in the world could have manufactured an iPhone-class device.
Subjective and baseless claim at its finest. I could make the opposite claim and be no more right/wrong than he is.

None of them invested in as much, early enough, to have all the elements in-house and able to execute at scale, and profitably so.
Scale and profit? Someone needs to read up on the Samsung production process.

Sorry Brent, but I think this guy (don't know anything about him) is still stuck in his one-sidedness. I'm happy that you love your iPhone but if you want arguments to support your passion for it (should you ever need them in a discussion), please don't refer to this article. Stick to areas that can be supported with some sense of evidence - performance, security metrics, application support. Each of those aforementioned areas are areas that Apple excels at and are notably absent.

It took all of five seconds for each point of his to be addressed with counter arguments that, although at least partially subjective as well, also involve some element of objective fact to back them up. I'm glad that you share his views (and god knows I have views of phones that can be torn apart by counter evidence) but you may want to find another person who has a positive review (there are many and for good reason) to help support them. ;)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
HAHAHA i knew you would bite at this Van, but didnt expect the complete review get to get knocked up. I know most of what you said, but at the end of the day, what company has put ALL this into a phone and made it of the quality of the iPhone, was my point ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
HAHAHA i knew you would bite at this Van, but didnt expect the complete review get to get knocked up. I know most of what you said, but at the end of the day, what company has put ALL this into a phone and made it of the quality of the iPhone, was my point ;)
Oh, Apple has certainly put together a fine package but like I said, that wasn't my concern (mine was the terrible arguments themselves). Enjoy your iPhone mate (I'm speaking Australian for you :p).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Enjoy your Android Walking Robot Van! :D Does it chase you like the new Robot they just developed that can run 18 Mph?

:D

C

chas_m

How many other manufacturers are capable of producing displays as advanced as the in-cell Retina? Some go OLED and even PenTile to save battery life and improve yield rates at the expense of image and color fidelity

I'm afraid I have to side with TM on this point. Every Samsung screen I've ever seen has a horrible yellow cast to it, particularly noticeable if viewed at a slight angle. I don't know what technology they use, but I can hold up their screen showing the same picture as an iPhone and instantly win THAT part of the argument.

I didn't read the original article because as Van points out, if you aren't fully versed on the competition, you shouldn't be talking smack about them.

Now I just wish most of the Fandroids would figure that out. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To ME for what that is worth, the iPhones screen is the cleanest and clearest looking I have ever seen, Others are coming close but I still prefer the screen on the iphone from all I have seen.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid I have to side with TM on this point. Every Samsung screen I've ever seen has a horrible yellow cast to it, particularly noticeable if viewed at a slight angle. I don't know what technology they use, but I can hold up their screen showing the same picture as an iPhone and instantly win THAT part of the argument.
Subjective call I guess since the iPhone/iPad retina screens looks no better or worse than most high end displays I've seen (and I have a Nexus 10 which has quite possibly the nicest mobile screen I've ever used). At the end of the day, most screens looks really good for most people.

Now I just wish most of the Fandroids would figure that out. :)
I notice that you didn't note Apple fanboys, a group that is just as loud and oblivious to the world outside of their own. ;)

C

chas_m

I haven't seen a Nexus 10 at present, so I'll take your word on that. I'm aware that the technology is catching up.

My experience has been that iPhone people tend to take a polite interest in the other guy's Android and don't generally sneer or be rude (there are always the d-bags of course, but they are their own class and come from both "sides" of the phone platform "wars"). Android people tend to think anyone with an iPhone is a zombie who's drunk the kool-aid. At least IME.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My experience has been that iPhone people tend to take a polite interest in the other guy's Android and don't generally sneer or be rude (there are always the d-bags of course, but they are their own class and come from both "sides" of the phone platform "wars"). Android people tend to think anyone with an iPhone is a zombie who's drunk the kool-aid. At least IME.
Sure, my own context is one in which no one really cares what anyone else is using but if the Internet is anything to go by, there are fanboys of everything who hate everything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.