Dropped Macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first time posting here. I dropped my 2 1/2 year old MacBook Pro while it was on. On impact, the screen went a little wonky. There were pink lines streaming vertically and green and red lines streaming horizontally. I was able to see what I had been previously working on behind these "moving" lines but the keyboard would not work. I heard two short mechanical sounding noises and was concerned I damaged the hard drive. After a few tries I powered off the computer then powered up and everything is back to normal. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I've backed everything up but am concerned about the drop. Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Others will comment I am sure, but you did the right thing backing up. Those noises might have been the hard drive. I had an iMac get knocked over on the table and heard noises from the drive. Within days it started to pause. There was damage on one of the platters where the head hit the platter from the impact. If it keeps working fine, keep backing up and watch for any signs like slowdown and long pauses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Assuming (as you mentioned) that everything is ok at the moment...my best guess is...when it was dropped...maybe a video cable got slightly loose for a moment (caused the colored lines)...then somehow the cable righted itself...and everything is now good.

But honestly this is just a guess/theory. This is really a "crystal ball" situation...and with "crystal balls"... they have been known to be wrong.;)

crystal-ball-300x203.jpg

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.