35mm scanner

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner to convert 35mm slides to jpg? I'd like to keep it under $100.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner to convert 35mm slides to jpg? I'd like to keep it under $100.

Depending on how many you have to scan, may be better options. I paid $0.14 each for Hi-res scans at my local camera store of my wedding negatives (from 35 yrs ago). For that price you could have 700 slides scanned.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. I find it less expensive to have things like that done either at a camera shop as recommended by RavingMac or at Office Depot, Staples, etc. I'm not sure what Staples charges but they will generally be lower in cost than most camera shops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

First, I agree w/ the previous posts - i.e. if you just have a 'handful' of slides to convert, then a professional service may be your best option - just make sure that you pick one that is superior (good quality, scratch/dirt removal software, etc.).

Second, I have a Canon scanner (about $150; pic below) that I used to convert a LOT (hundreds) of old slides into digital images - software allowed for scratch/dirt removal & cropping before scanning - worked fine. Keep in mind for a less expensive option that you're need a transparency adapter for best results w/ 35 mm slides (or negatives) - good luck w/ your choice and let us know if you have further questions? Dave :)

71av1UpQBaL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Slide scanner

I could not find anyone around here that could scan slides other than a photo store and $1.00+ was too expensive for this project.

I ended up with a nice little scanner, made by dbtech, for $70 that did a pretty decent job. I also have about 3000 slides that i would like to do some time in the future, so I now do that without breaking the bank.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.