Problem with file permission settings.

Reaction score
I have a unique problem that I have yet to find the solution for. I work in an office and I am one of the people who is responsible for creating folders on the server so that other people can save files to that folder.

The problem I have encountered is that when ever I create a folder, the access under "Sharing & Permissions:" tab is set to Admin (me): Read and write, Staff: Read only, Everyone: Read only. I cannot change these settings because "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." These setting prohibit one of the people in my office responsible for creating files from saving anything to that folder.

The weird part is that after a week, the parameters are automatically set to "Read and Write" for Admin, Staff, and Everyone, and as such, lets everyone drop files into the folder.

Can anyone explain why this happens and if so, how to fix it? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a unique problem that I have yet to find the solution for. I work in an office and I am one of the people who is responsible for creating folders on the server so that other people can save files to that folder.

The problem I have encountered is that when ever I create a folder, the access under "Sharing & Permissions:" tab is set to Admin (me): Read and write, Staff: Read only, Everyone: Read only. I cannot change these settings because "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." These setting prohibit one of the people in my office responsible for creating files from saving anything to that folder.

The weird part is that after a week, the parameters are automatically set to "Read and Write" for Admin, Staff, and Everyone, and as such, lets everyone drop files into the folder.

Can anyone explain why this happens and if so, how to fix it? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is likely due to the permission level of the author of those folders (ie. you)...

you should likely create a separate user on the server for yourself, with permissions levels which allow you full read/write, and is of the group which allows your colleagues to be on the same group.

you could manually adjust the folders on the server after they've been made, but this would be a repeated process....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.