How to allocate more RAM to Photoshop

Reaction score
Could you please help to improve Photoshop performance on my MAC. I use OS X 10.8.2 and 8GB RAM and in Photoshop CS6 it takes 15 sec to open Jpg!

Thank you

Reaction score
I don't have it on my laptop with me but if I remember...
In Preferences you can tell it to use a percentage of total memory. Photoshop will use all the memory it can get and still want more. You might want to invest in more memory if you can. I run 16 gigs and some things are still a little slow.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Open up Activity Monitor and see how much free memory you have. How big are these JPG files you are trying to open?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you Craig, I've changed the allocation to 89%

Thank you Ashwin, I have 2TB hard drive and 1.2Tb is left. Do you refer to RAM please? And where do I find Activity Monitor please?

Thank you
Olga

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor is how you launch it. Once launched, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. This will show you Free and Inactive. Those are the values you should look at.

With 8GB of memory and with PS6 running you want to make sure you have enough free memory should PS need to load the files..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.