Dimmer Screen Image Won't Leave Screen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help.

The dimmer image that pops up when you brighten or dim the screen won't disappear.

It doesn't prevent me from typing or viewing anything. And it does dim and brighten the screen. It just obstructs the view of what I'm typing and viewing.

I've attached a screenshot of the image. You'll see how annoying it is.

Can someone tell me how to remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Screen shot 2013-10-08 at 6.32.29 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't give us much to go on..... What Mac? Version of OS X?

Anyway, try resetting the PRAM. And if that doesn't work, try a SMC reset.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The dimmer image that pops up when you brighten or dim the screen won't disappear.

FYI...that's not the image for display brightness. That's the image for the keyboard backlighting brightness. You may want to look into that setting if the resets that chscag suggested don't cure things.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
FYI...that's not the image for display brightness. That's the image for the keyboard backlighting brightness. You may want to look into that setting if the resets that chscag suggested don't cure things.

- Nick

i believe this is related to f1/f2. it's what always brightens and dims my screen.

none of these suggestions work though.

OP
O
Reaction score
You didn't give us much to go on..... What Mac? Version of OS X?

Anyway, try resetting the PRAM. And if that doesn't work, try a SMC reset.

unfortunately, this didn't really do anything. instead of it being a fully lit image with all of the white images, it's grayed marks with the zero (with line through it) at the bottom in white.

oh well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i believe this is related to f1/f2. it's what always brightens and dims my screen.

Doesn't matter. The image on the display in the 1st post of this thread is for the keyboard backlighting brightness...not display brightness.

Given this fact (and since the SMC and PRAM resets didn't work)...investigating the keyboard backlighting brightness controls/settings would be the next logical place to look for a solution.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To further my point...the image below is for display brightness...which is NOT the image that was posted in post #1. Post #1 is the image for keyboard backlighting brightness.

maxresdefault.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did the pram reset definitely happen? You got the 2 chimes before the Mac rebooted again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.