Good recording software?

Reaction score
I've been looking for some time now for a good recording software for Macs. I have used Camtasia, Screenflow, and Screenflick, and none are exactly satisfying. It needs to be able to record my screen and computer audio for YouTube. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
SoundStudio has been great for me.... have used it to do stereo recordings, do adjusting, compression, EQ, etc, for several years.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you checked out QuicTime X. Not at my Mac right now to double check but I think it does what you need. Editing capabilities are limited but the file can be fed into other software for editing.

OP
C
Reaction score
@Slydude Editing software is not a problem, I'll try it out.

EDIT: Can you tell me where to update my Quicktime to this? I'd like to try it. If there is a purchase/trial download page, please reply with the link if you can.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You probably already have it installed. I believe the screen recording feature was included with the version of QuickTime that shipped with OS X 10.6 and higher. In that case no need to update QuickTime. Look in the Applications folder on your hard drive. it will be listed as QuickTime Player.

Old codgers such as myself tend to refer to it as QuickTime X to distinguish it from previous versions which didn't have this feature without an upgrade.

You might find these helpful:

How to use Quicktime Screen Record

Exploring the Advanced Features of QuickTime X | Mactuts+

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.