Late 2013 27" iMac ram slots?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
hi guys

i ordered my new imac with the standard 8gb of ram (2x4gb) i have just ordered from crucial a 16gb (2x8gb) upgrade, i will install this and ave a total of 24gb of ram

my question is, does it matter which size sticks go in which slots?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not really as long as they are matched. Say 2x8Gb in slots 1 and others in slots 2.

With the model before experimented with 2 x 2 in 1 and 2 x 4 in 2, changed around and no difference whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac i5 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HD
I have a 27" iMac and am looking at upgrading the RAM to the maximum capability possible for this model. Also thinking about upgrading to a SSD.

My question in relation to this post is do I have to order the RAM and SSD from Apple and do I have to get an official Apple Supplier to install these items to ensure that warranty does not become invalid?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question in relation to this post is do I have to order the RAM and SSD from Apple and do I have to get an official Apple Supplier to install these items to ensure that warranty does not become invalid?

Memory upgrades on a 27" iMac are a user do it yourself project and the memory can be purchased from any good supplier. (We recommend OWC or Crucial.)

However, and this is important.... you can not install a SSD by yourself to your new iMac without possibly voiding your warranty. But more importantly, opening up a new iMac is not a user do it yourself task and should only be accomplished by an experienced Apple certified technician. Ask yourself if you really need a SSD and are willing to pay to have it installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac i5 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HD
Thanks for that chscag, in terms of performance I found that with the SSD in my old macbook was really good for the work that I do (architectural documentation and 3d concepts), hence the desire to upgrade the iMac. However if the cost factor becomes
prohibitive then I'll just live with the HDD. Will still upgrade the RAM though, any ideas
how much I'd be looking at for SSD upgrade? Thanks for your advice. Pibolar sorry to crowd your post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get a quote from your Apple reseller on the SSD, that is if they are prepared to do it. You will be looking at the cost of the SSD from the reseller and about 1 hour labour at around $110 per hour.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depending on the size - capacity of the SSD, you're likely looking at spending around $500 including the labor to have an Apple tech install it. Maybe more if you're not in the States.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.