• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMac and 4k video

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 4k camcorder and wondering if my iMac can handle editing it. 27" iMac 24 gig ram 3.2 ghz icore5 g force 765
I know I'll need a separate hd connected via thunderbolt. but not sure if the comp can handle it. Using fcp X
Anyone with experience editing 4k video?

Reaction score
Personally I'd try and get some sample 4K files and see how it works out. There is rumoured an update soon to FCPX which may well include additional 4K support

Depending on how much work you do in 4K your Mac may be fine, but rendering may take a bit of time, with that file size. An i7 processor would have been a better option. I benchmarked my 2.6Ghz iMac i5 against my 2.3 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro. The Macbook was 25% faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.