external hard drive recommendations

Reaction score
It is time to get an external harddrive to back-up my desktop imac. I was thinking of getting at least 1tb with a firewire connection. Any recommendations? Is one brand preferred over others?
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Beyond the parameters you mentioned (1 terabyte and firewire)...I would otherwise just shop for the best price.

FYI...the selection of external firewire hard drives you have to choose from will be fewer than USB hard drives...AND external firewire HD's will be more expensive.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I like the cases from OWC and then put my own drive in them.
Costs a little more this way also, but you're getting a good case and your pick of drives instead of just the cheapest drive the manufacturer can get that will come with most of the others.

If you buy the combo case/drive from OWC, they are one of the few manufacturers that actually post what drive you're getting with the case. I have one of the previous gen USB, FW, eSATA case like this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.