Now that I have purchased an iPod for my son, how do I get his apps off of my phone?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope I'm not starting a similar thread that has been resolved before. My search didn't seem to answer my question(s), so here goes nothing. I have an iPhone and iPad that I've been sharing with my sons. I just purchased an iPod for one, and will be purchasing another iPad for myself and giving the iPad I have to my other son. What is the best way to handle having separate accounts, but not so separate? I want to be able to iMessage with them, but I don't think that is possible if I have the same Apple ID...or is it? Also, I don't want the apps I download to my device to also download to their devices. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how I can get the purchased apps onto the new iPod, if that is even possible.

Thanks,

Erica

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The purchased content (apps, music, TV shows, what have you) follow the Apple ID used to purchase them and not the device.

There is, currently, no way of transferring purchased content between Apple ID's in the same family or anything. So the only recourse there is to continue using the single Apple ID for purchases or buy new apps all over again..

I wonder if you can use a separate Apple ID for iMessage'ing purposes and one just for App Store/iTunes purchases on the same device..if that works, that might be how you do it..

However, you'll have to manually manage the purchases and take extra steps to avoid having all the apps shows up on all the devices..

I wish Apple would try to resolve this somehow..

OP
Q
Reaction score
The purchased content (apps, music, TV shows, what have you) follow the Apple ID used to purchase them and not the device.

There is, currently, no way of transferring purchased content between Apple ID's in the same family or anything. So the only recourse there is to continue using the single Apple ID for purchases or buy new apps all over again..

I wonder if you can use a separate Apple ID for iMessage'ing purposes and one just for App Store/iTunes purchases on the same device..if that works, that might be how you do it..

However, you'll have to manually manage the purchases and take extra steps to avoid having all the apps shows up on all the devices..

I wish Apple would try to resolve this somehow..

I was reading on Apple's site that one ID could be used for iCloud and another for store purchases. I am under the impression that this "may" work. I could keep the ID I have now that is being used with the iCloud, and start another ID for the new device. That way we could iMessage and Face time each other. When I purchased my iPad, then subsequently purchased my iPhone, I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to iMessage of Face Time between the devices as I was new to using them. I don't want to run into the same problem with the new devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, this has been asked and answered before. That's ok...

If you're all using the same Apple ID, you do not have separate "accounts" in the true meaning of the word. You can have all of your devices look and behave differently. They do not have to be clones of each other. I think that's what you're going for here, right?

If you go into settings on your iPhone and look under Messages and Send & Receive, you'll be able to choose how you send/receive iMessages. For your iPhone, only check your phone #. Then for the iPad or iPod, choose an email and add another email for the other device. Double check the settings on the iPad and iPod to make sure everyone is using a different email or phone #.

To handle apps, go back into Settings and then iTunes & App Store. Scroll down and turn off Automatic Downloads for whatever you do not want to automatically download onto your sons' devices. Do that on all of your iOS devices to ensure no one gets what someone else installs.

Connect each device to your computer and open iTunes to do any fine-tuning. You can choose what apps, music, photos, email accounts, etc that each individual device will sync to on the computer. That's how we handle an iPad and 2 iPhones in my house.

This might also be helpful LINK. Just remember to adjust preferences for each device in iTunes (1 device at a time, obviously :) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.