iChat unable to connect to camera

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to OSX 10.4.4 on my powerbook. Everything seems to work fine, except iChat video. It keeps telling me my camera is in use by another application, yet there are no other applications running. I've tried connecting and discon. the camera, on and off, and I even tried to restart and shut down. I have no idea here. Can anyone help me out.

thanks
Bernie

OP
B
Reaction score
BMacX said:
I recently upgraded to OSX 10.4.4 on my powerbook. Everything seems to work fine, except iChat video. It keeps telling me my camera is in use by another application, yet there are no other applications running. I've tried connecting and discon. the camera, on and off, and I even tried to restart and shut down. I have no idea here. Can anyone help me out.

thanks
Bernie

Anyone , any ideas???
Is there anyone home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are you using an iSight or some generic USB cam with a special driver?
The only camera that is "guaranteed" to work with iChat is the iSight. Any other camera may experience problems like you are having, even with drivers and third party software.

OP
B
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Are you using an iSight or some generic USB cam with a special driver?
The only camera that is "guaranteed" to work with iChat is the iSight. Any other camera may experience problems like you are having, even with drivers and third party software.

I'm using a canon zr40. It worked fine up until I updated OSX. For some reason Final Cut isn't finding it either. Still, IMovie seems to be fine. Strange.

Bernie

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I have a Macbook with an internal camera and have been using it with no problem for over a year. Recently I tried to use it and it said there was no camera attached. I repaired permissions, ran a couple programs like macjanitor and cocktail, did a Safe Boot, changed to another using but still same problem. I haven't tried reinstalling iChat or a clean system install because I can't locate my disk. And I would hate to do all of that and have it still not work. There is little online addressing this so I'm not sure how common it is. It may have happened after my last system update. If I find a solution I'll post it here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.