My Desktop Icon won't open

Reaction score
My desktop icon wont open. Apparently the file got switched somehow from a folder to a package. I can acess the contents by opening package contents but can no longer click on the sidebar icon to get a list of my folders. Also I can no longer move the files on my desktop screen around to where I want them. I have checked all the settings and none seem to be the problem. Can anyone help. One moment everything was working fine and the next, disaster. The only thing I have done recently is purchase MYPCBackup and been backing up my system.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean that the desktop icon won't open and has become a package? Are you saying that the desktop folder is now recognized as a package? If so, what happens when you double click it? Has the icon changed?

OP
L
Reaction score
Desktop won't open

Thanks for responding! No, somehow the desktop icon in the sidebar converted itself to a package instead of a folder. So when I try to open it i get a message that says somethin like no application to open. It won't let me click on it. I've spent the last few hours trying to fix this and finally found an answer that worked. I pasted this into the Terminal and it changed my desktop file back to a folder instead of a package. If anyone else uses this fix make sure you create a new folder, like Desktop2 in your Home Window and move your files from your old desktop folder to the new one. You can access your files by "view package contents". After trying several other recommendations this was the magic bullet. Removes a "bit" or something. Don't know...way over my head. Just worked:Cool:

xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo ~/Desktop

OP
L
Reaction score
PS: Once the old Desktop icon became a folder again, i copied my files back from Desktop2 and they reappeared on my desktop.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks for posting back with a solution!

I'm admittedly confused as to how this happened but glad you got it sorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.