Uppercase Letters

Reaction score
In most any program I use, whether a OS X program or something I installed, when I'm typing the first letter of a sentence I get a capital letter using the shift key. Later in the sentence I'll type a capital letter using the shift but I get a lowercase letter. Any way to fix this? It happens mostly in MS Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you may have a sticky shift key. Does it happen with both shift keys (right and left)? And, did you spill anything on your keyboard in the past?

OP
K
Reaction score
It's not the keyboard

I currently am on a Mini with a newer Mac keyboard. My older keyboard had the same problem and I had in on my Mac Air. I never use the right shift key when I'm typing.

Only way it could be the keyboard is if I'm not pushing the fully down or releasing it too quickly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In most any program I use, whether a OS X program or something I installed, when I'm typing the first letter of a sentence I get a capital letter using the shift key. Later in the sentence I'll type a capital letter using the shift but I get a lowercase letter. Any way to fix this? It happens mostly in MS Word.

Sounds like a problem I've had in the past. It didn't happen in every program I used. The problem seemed to be related to the auto-correction (auto-spelling, auto-grammer, etc.) built into the Mac OS.

Of course if this was a BIG problem...I think that others would have the same issue.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks

Sounds like a problem I've had in the past. It didn't happen in every program I used. The problem seemed to be related to the auto-correction (auto-spelling, auto-grammer, etc.) built into the Mac OS.

Of course if this was a BIG problem...I think that others would have the same issue.

- Nick

Unless somebody is tying a lot of documents they probably shrugged it off. It's not the end of the world, Just a minor annoyance since I have to spend a lot of time writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Maybe this is a naive suggestion, but try downloading Open Office (free from Apache) and see if you have the same problem. Open Office is great, and will save in MS Word format.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unless somebody is tying a lot of documents they probably shrugged it off. It's not the end of the world, Just a minor annoyance since I have to spend a lot of time writing.

I know what you're saying. But those minor annoyances can become major...when you (me included) have to constantly do multiple proof-readings & corrections to fix this.

What I did was...I tried to turn off as much of the auto-correction features as possible. Then if there are any mistakes...they are truly my mistakes. True spelling/grammar mistakes or simply my typing mistakes.;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Have Open Office

Maybe this is a naive suggestion, but try downloading Open Office (free from Apache) and see if you have the same problem. Open Office is great, and will save in MS Word format.

I have Open Office and it does the same thing.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'll try that

I know what you're saying. But those minor annoyances can become major...when you (me included) have to constantly do multiple proof-readings & corrections to fix this.

What I did was...I tried to turn off as much of the auto-correction features as possible. Then if there are any mistakes...they are truly my mistakes. True spelling/grammar mistakes or simply my typing mistakes.;)

- Nick

I'll try that,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.