Upgrading to mavericks.

Reaction score
When mavericks gets released will it wipe everything on my mac mini? Or can I just update it and my stuff will still be there?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
When mavericks gets released will it wipe everything on my mac mini? Or can I just update it and my stuff will still be there?

You should always back up your HD before doing an OS install, but no, you can upgrade to Mavericks without losing your files. Just choose OS Install without Erase (reformat) and it will only replace the system files.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Exactly what RavibgMac says.

In my older iMac, it came with Leopard. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and then to Lion. Sure, I always had at least two backups before each upgrade; but in every case, it worked without difficulty. New OS, same preferences, settings, documents and apps. As it should be.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Upgrading the OS on Macintosh computers has always been a straight forward process (for years & years & years). You basically follow the onscreen prompts for the installer...and the installer does the rest (replaces the old OS with the new OS)...leaving everything else intact.

Is there the rare instance something could get messed up...sure...nothing is perfect. That's why it's a great idea to do a backup just before the OS upgrade. If the OS upgrade process goes as it should...then you won't need that backup. But if the OS upgrade for some rare reason not do what it should...you will be as happy as a "pig in slop" that you have that backup!;)

Also be aware that if you upgrade to Mavericks before assuring that all your current apps are compatible with Mavericks...you may find some of those apps will no longer run (and you may need to upgrade the apps). Which in some cases...can be VERY expensive.

Bottom line:

- do your app compatibility ahead of time
- do a backup of your HD before the OS upgrade
- make sure any external hardware you own is compatible with Mavericks

...and you will have done everything you can to assure a "surprise free" OS upgrade.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Bottom line:

- do your app compatibility ahead of time
- do a backup of your HD before the OS upgrade
- make sure any external hardware you own is compatible with Mavericks

...and you will have done everything you can to assure a "surprise free" OS upgrade.:)

Hi Nick - new iMac & MBPro in the spring (w/ Mtn Lion) - so Mavericks will be our first 'major' OS X upgrade - HD backup not an issue, but does Apple offer a link to test 'compatibility' of the apps on one's computer before doing an OS change? Also, I'm assuming that the external hardware needs to be checked @ the manufacturer's website(s) - thanks for any further input from those that have gone through this process before - Dave :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There isn't, as far as I know, a tool to test compatibility with new versions of OS X. This is largely why Apple releases the early versions of a new OS to developers so that they can update their software and ensure that it is compatible when the public release happens..

One big break in compatibility came from the jump between Snow Leopard and Lion, whereby Lion dropped Rosetta and PowerPC application support.

Versions after Lion haven't had such a drastic change in compatibility, so I imagine that any software that is updated by the developer will definitely work and any that work with Mountain Lion should likely work as well..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Nick - new iMac & MBPro in the spring (w/ Mtn Lion) - so Mavericks will be our first 'major' OS X upgrade - HD backup not an issue, but does Apple offer a link to test 'compatibility' of the apps on one's computer before doing an OS change? Also, I'm assuming that the external hardware needs to be checked @ the manufacturer's website(s) - thanks for any further input from those that have gone through this process before - Dave :)

Hey there Dave. First things first. Do you really NEED to upgrade to Mavericks? Just because a new OS version comes out...doesn't mean that it needs to be upgraded to immediately.

I have three MacBook Pro's in my household that are in "active service". Two of them are still running Lion (OS 10.7)...and one is running Mountain Lion (OS 10.8). The two running Lion are running great...no issues whatsoever.

Also...sometimes it's a great idea to wait a bit before upgrading the OS. Sometimes the initial releases can be a bit "glitchy". Then the first updates come out quickly.

Just something to think about.

...but does Apple offer a link to test 'compatibility' of the apps on one's computer before doing an OS change?

No. But there are websites that are quickly put together shortly after a release. For example...here's the one for Mountain Lion (which came out shortly after the release of Mountain Lion):

App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS

Also, I'm assuming that the external hardware needs to be checked @ the manufacturer's website(s)...

Yes that's exactly it. If there are external hardware compatibility issues...the manufacturers website is the place to check. The most common external hardware are usually printers or scanners. If there is an issue...sometimes new drivers are all that is needed. And sometimes if we are lucky...these will show-up via "Software Update" under the Apple menu.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am going to be upgrading my 4gb of ram to 8gb this holiday season. I own a mac mini late 2012 so it should be compatible with it. I don't have that much stuff on it. Mostly backed up movies, songs that I already have backed up on my windows laptop, and a few programs like pavtube blu ray ripper, and the blu ray player app that I bought. I am currently using a lg slim portable bluray multi drive it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Ashwin & Nick for your comments & advice - much appreciated! :)

I'll check my external hardware sites for potential updates - also, no big need to go to Mavericks immediately for our needs, so will wait a while, as suggested. Dave

C

chas_m

I wouldn't even think of upgrading to Mavericks until I had done a Time Machine backup AND a clone AND run OnyX over the boot drive (not necessarily in that order).

But I'll probably update on the first day ... <makes various guinea pig noises>

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Chas completely. Run Onyx first and also back up. Way back here on the forums many used to deal with upgrade issues and always asked them if they fixed permissions and other things with Onyx first before upgrading and all that had issues did not. Something to think about and it sure can not hurt.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

But I'll probably update on the first day ... <makes various guinea pig noises>

I'll probably be right behind you. The guinea pig noises you hear might be me.

I generally recommend a clone of your hard drive before a backup. If you decide Mavericks is not for you restoring from the clone is probably the easiest way back to your previous OS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IF my iMac will run it, I will upgrade release day. In my case Cat meows with my protesting cats for me taking out the last Cat version! :D

I will be running Onyx and doing a full time machine back up before I do anything else. One never knows. ML might be my last OSX version! :D Grin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if I'll run OnyX or not (won't hurt) but I will run iDefrag before upgrading. And don't forget about making a bootable flash drive before installing. The directions are a bit more complex but certainly doable for most folks.

And like Dennis, I'll miss the kitty cats..... :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, we saw back in the day here had to deal with so many issues because people did not check permissions first. Schweb, MHC and many others all had to deal with users who did not fix that first and the upgrade went sour. That is why I will always at least do that first. I have NEVER once since 10.1 had a bum install.

If you are doing a clean install then it makes no difference, I am taking an Upgrade.

Also agree with Charley, Bootable USB drive is a must!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.