Macbook pro manual disk eject?

Reaction score
Can't get disk to eject from Macbook Pro. None of the things I've read have worked. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
What have you tried so far?

Reaction score
Also usually can press and hold F12 to eject. Might need to press fn key too depending on keyboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
None of the things I've read have worked.

It DEFINITELY helps if you tell us what you tried.

You've gotten some great suggestions already from other members...so you should be in great shape.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry...here's what I've tried and what it accomplished: F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry...here's what I've tried and what it accomplished: F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.

Some keyboard layouts are different. On some keyboards....the optical drive eject key may be F12...on my MacBook Pro it isn't. What you want to look for is the key with the underlined solid triangle icon on it (it's usually the upper-right most key on the keyboard).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, yes. Mine has the same thing...that's what I was calling the "Eject" button. It's just to the right of F12.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a failed slot loading optical drive.

C

chas_m

If holding down the mouse or trackpad button while starting up didn't at least TRY to eject the drive, then the drive is dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.