Powerbook G4 wireless problem!

A

angelggg

I own a powerbook G4, 800mhz, 384mbRAM, Panther, OS X (10.3). I have a DSL internet connection and the other day I installed Tiger and reading an article in MacAddict Magazine, I read about a Widget (called airport something from the apple website) that would find wireless networks and allow me to connect to the internet from anywhere that was available. I tried that for 2 or 3 days and to my surprise it worked. The problem was, my ibook would suddenly froze and I had to reinstall the original Panther OS that came with it (since I'd borrowed Tiger from somebody), and the apple Widget is not compatible anymore. Ever since that happened, my mac will not work with Tiger and I've been forced to work with Panther. My question is: Is there any other application that will enable to detect wireless networks and connect to them without having to install Tiger? Can I still connect to a wireless network that's compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
angelggg said:
I own a powerbook G4, 800mhz, 384mbRAM, Panther, OS X (10.3). I have a DSL internet connection and the other day I installed Tiger and reading an article in MacAddict Magazine, I read about a Widget (called airport something from the apple website) that would find wireless networks and allow me to connect to the internet from anywhere that was available. I tried that for 2 or 3 days and to my surprise it worked. The problem was, my ibook would suddenly froze and I had to reinstall the original Panther OS that came with it (since I'd borrowed Tiger from somebody), and the apple Widget is not compatible anymore. Ever since that happened, my mac will not work with Tiger and I've been forced to work with Panther. My question is: Is there any other application that will enable to detect wireless networks and connect to them without having to install Tiger? Can I still connect to a wireless network that's compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther?

Check out an app called iStumber. It's shareware, and it works really well. You can set the refresh rate to longer or shorter times too, like have it refresh/rescan the are for WAN's, and it displays if they have WEP encryption, 128bit hex, ASCII pass words or whatever they have it setup as. Here's the link: iStumbler

OP
A

angelggg

Thank you

Thank you very much for your tip. I'm going to try it out and see what happens. In the mean time, have a nice day and thatnks again for your time and knowledge!

Angel

punkr0x0r said:
Check out an app called iStumber. It's shareware, and it works really well. You can set the refresh rate to longer or shorter times too, like have it refresh/rescan the are for WAN's, and it displays if they have WEP encryption, 128bit hex, ASCII pass words or whatever they have it setup as. Here's the link: iStumbler

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.