No Setup Assistant after "Open Box" Macbook Pro purchase from Best Buy

Reaction score
Helo,

I have jut purchased a Macbook Pro with retina display from Best Buy. This was an "Open Box" purchase, meaning someone had previously purchased the laptop, then changed their mind and returned it within 15 days to Best Buy, who restored it and offered it for sale again at a slight discount.

By all appearances, the computer is brand new, and was certified by their Geek Squad as eligible for resale as a new computer. However, when I started up the computer at home, the Setup Assistant did not run, which would allow me to enter my info and set myself as the owner of the computer. It just went straight to the desktop. (there are no other users listed under system preferences or anything, but when I clicked on the lock to make changes in system preferences, it asked for a password, which I don't have). I was able, however, to establish myself as admin and attach my iTunes account.

How can I re-run the Setup Assistant on my computer? Do I need to restore the computer to factory settings? This is my first Mac computer purchase, so I am new to this and would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

C

chas_m

Okay, first of all: clearly Geek Squad didn't do their job, and now you have someone else's computer with their info (or at least Geek Squad's setup info) on it. They're idiots.

To PROPERLY fix this problem, you need to restart the MBP (I'm assuming its running Mountain Lion) and hold down command-r for the recovery partition. Use this to WIPE the drive and reinstall Mountain Lion from your own iTunes account (do NOT use the original owners or Geek Squad's account!).

If you're not confident doing this, call Apple and explain the situation, they should be able to get your back to factory.

And *never* use or trust Geek Squad!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That really ticks me off about Best Buy! As far as I'm aware, when an item such as a computer (Apple or other) is returned, all they look for is to see that everything which was included has been returned, and no damage before they issue a refund. I'd be surprised if they turned it on and checked to see if a password was set.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input here! I did end up wiping the computer and reinstalling Mountain Lion. It didn't send me to the Startup assistant when it was done re-installing, but it did solve the password issue. I think I am good to go now...and have learned my lesson on Best Buy!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear it turned out OK. And welcome to our forums! :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input here! I did end up wiping the computer and reinstalling Mountain Lion. It didn't send me to the Startup assistant when it was done re-installing, but it did solve the password issue. I think I am good to go now...and have learned my lesson on Best Buy!

migration is easy--just go to /Applications/Utilities--->it's right there...

and ditto on Best Buy.. they are clueless..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I blame their pay cuts as they are following Circuit City's lead which was to pay management well and get by as cheap as you can for the help which they get what they pay for.
Seems like that model was an epic fail for the competition so not a good role model.

Reaction score
Personally, I buy 2nd hand machines from private small businesses, instead of corporate groups like Best Buy. Have never had good luck there.

I was travelling out of town the other day, had to get an ethernet cord, and simply couldn't find a mom-n-pop shop.. Went to Best Buy, and they were selling 3' ethernet cords for..............$14. Yeah. $14!! A 10' cable was more than $30! what a rip off. At those prices it should come in a pouch and delivered with a lap dance or something.. You can buy the same cord on Amazon for $2..

My $.02.... Find a company that's family owned and buy from them. I saw Wegener Media ads here, and have purchased several MacBooks from them. Have had nothing but great pricing and exceptional service - they even bent over backwards to help me resolve MY mistake in an order.

I'm sure there are other good companies, but Wegener advertises on this site, and I was inclined to give them a shot. They've pretty much cured me of the desire to ever go to the corporate big box places again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.