no hardware installed ??

Reaction score
my wife's 2011 macbook air woke up one day and had a "no hardware installed" message where the wi-fi should be and clicking the turn on wi-fi does nothing ive tryied a few things from mac forums but nothing so far any thoughts??............................................................:Angry-Tongue:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, it would help if you told us what you already tried so that you're not getting the same suggestions again.................. .....................

Like perhaps a SMC reset and a NVRAM reset.

Or using the Apple hardware test.

If those don't work, then would guess it's time to take it in to your local Apple store and let them run a diagnostic.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
my wife's 2011 macbook air woke up one day and had a "no hardware installed" message ...

Would this "one day" be today...and there's currently a problem??

Or did it occur in the past...it resolved itself...and there's currently not a problem?

Or is this a problem that happened in the past...and is still not resolved?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
no hardeware installed

the things that I have tried! I ordered a usb wireless adapter but as the air has no drive and the adapter came with one of those small cd's ive had trouble getting it installed I downloaded a instalation from the adapter site put it on a thumb and installed it on the air and that didnt work I tried reseting the smc and turning bluetooth on and off the bluetooth and the web cam both work fine I was trying to take the kext file from an old back up but I dont have the kext utility so I dont know if im doing that right I deleted the kext file and copied the older kext file in its place but nuthing I opened it and made sure the conectins were good and they seemed fine im trying the hardware scan now hit the power buttun then holding d before gray screen and it starts internet recovery mode and like the other things I have mentioned I dont think I am implimenting them corectly if you have a suggestion of how to test if it is hardware or software detailed steps to do that would help as I have not figured out how to do so. oh and yes this is ongoing ounce the no hardware installed showed up it has not ounce changed or offered internet its just been off ever since

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.