CAPS Lock stuck on

Reaction score
Hi My MacBook air caps lock is stuck on and I can't log on to it as my password has some lowercase letters. How do I fix it? I can't get into an Apple store as I am currently a hundred kms from nearest one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forum.

Step 1: Reset the pram
About NVRAM and PRAM

Still an issue?
Step 2:
Connect a USB keyboard and try to toggle caps loack on and off

Still an issue?
Step 3:
Use the OSX virtual keyboard to toggle caps lock
How to Enable & Use the Virtual Keyboard in Mac OS X

Still an issue?
Sounds like it's a genuine hardware fault (spillage on the keyboard?). Time to seek out Applecare/Apple Store/Authorised repairer

OP
S
Reaction score
Resetting PRAM Works!

Thanks so much for your help. Pity the technician at Core in SA had no idea about this. Spent an hour on the phone with him. Managed to do step 2 as a temporary work around but your solution worked and took 1 minute not 1 hour!!!! Not sure what the Reputation system is all about?

C

chas_m

The Reputation system rewards members who have given you good advice. Click it and add to their reputation, so that they win a free trip to the French Riviera!

Actually there's no prize, but see that little blue dot on the left hand side under your number of posts? That's reputation -- it's kind of like a rating for users (there's a limit to the number of dots, but it still makes us volunteers feel good!).

C

chas_m

I have to point out that 100km is 60 miles ... that's an hour ride on a highway.

If it turns out to be a hardware issue and not just crumbs in the keyboard, I'd say it's going to be well worth your time to make the drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even with Bluetooth kb and mice, it is essential to have wired versions on hand for emergencies, IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.