PoweeBook G4 vertical lines

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly, after 8 years, my Powerbook G4 1,67 17" started to show the infamous sign of vertical lines (only 1 for now).
I have the chance to get a replacement LCD for a moderate sum.
Is replacing the LCD enough to fix it or is it a motherboard problem?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I would spend any money on a machine that old, however, before replacing the LCD, attach an external monitor to see if you're getting the same indication. The problem may not be the LCD. If it turns out to be a defective GPU, it may not be economical to replace the logic board which you would have to do since the GPU is soldered to it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks.
I love this machine. It did its job for years, so if there is a chance to fix it (at a reasonable price) I would try.
So I will try to hook it to an external monitor. If the vertical line disappear on that I should be quite sure it's an LCD problem. Right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I will try to hook it to an external monitor. If the vertical line disappear on that I should be quite sure it's an LCD problem. Right?

Yes, that would indicate your logic board and graphics are OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There is another quick test you can perform. Note the position and thickness of a vertical line. Lower the display resolution. If the line position moves and the line is thicker the line is on the video, therefore a gpu/logic board fault. It the line stays in the same position and at the same thickness when the resolution is lowered, the LCD will be defective.

If you attempt a repair look for a good used complete display clamshell. Replacing the LCD panel isn't the easiest task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.