MacBook battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Hi, I recently replaced my HDD with an SSD, and noticed afterward that my macbook battery says "Condition: Replace Soon."

I'm thinking this is normal, but how long should I expect to be able to use this battery before it really needs to be replaced? Also at this point, should I expect the battery to slowly lose charge over time or quickly become flat within a small time period? I'm really not sure how battery life works over time...

Here's some extra info:
MacBook 5,2 (2009)
Cycle count 745
Full cap 3809 mAh

I now can get 4-5hrs with a full charge, compared to 3-4 previously

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but how long should I expect to be able to use this battery before it really needs to be replaced?

Everyone's "benchmark" is a little bit different. It really all depends on how long do you NEED the computer to run off the battery before recharging.

Or...what's the min. time you want to be able to use the computer on battery power only. For some folks...this can be as little as 30 minutes...for other folks 1 hour, and yet other folks 2 hours. It just depends. It also depends on how quickly (and able) someone wants to spend $129 for a new battery!;)

Also at this point, should I expect the battery to slowly lose charge over time or quickly become flat within a small time period? I'm really not sure how battery life works over time...

Probably a pretty slow degradation in total battery run time on a single charge. If you're currently getting 4-5 hours on a single battery charge...it's not like 1 month from now it will be 1-2 hours.

Just "go with the flow"...and casually monitor things.:) Don't let this rule your life!;)

- Nick

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Thanks for the reply pigoo (again lol).

I was looking for the 2nd answer mainly. I previously had more experience with pc brand laptops having their batteries seemingly die so quickly over a much shorter period of time. Was afraid of that happening to my macbook's battery.

Anyway, appreciate the clarification. I'll watch my battery and work with what I currently have lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was looking for the 2nd answer mainly. I previously had more experience with pc brand laptops having their batteries seemingly die so quickly over a much shorter period of time. Was afraid of that happening to my macbook's battery.

I primarily purchase used Apple computers (for my family's personal use)...which also means the Apple laptop computers I purchase also have used or well used battery's. In my experience...I have not had a sudden decrease in battery runtime/capacity. It's always been a slow decrease in total runtime.

But then again...this also depends on someones usage patterns. One person may only put one battery cycle on their Apple laptop every 2 weeks...someone else 1 battery cycle in 1 week...or someone else multiple cycles/day.

The faster someone racks up the battery cycles...the faster a battery will wear out. Nothing lasts forever.

- Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply pigoo (again lol).

Anyway, appreciate the clarification. I'll watch my battery and work with what I currently have lol

food for thought: Top 15 Ways to Extend Your Laptop’s Battery Life

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.