Power Mac G5 Logic Board Upgrade question

Reaction score
The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fa
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model
Hi Folks

I am not an expert in the MAC World so please be patient with me!

My old G5 logic board has failed and I want to change it - it is a 2004 model 820-1592A one. The new one I have acquired is a 820-1760A (2005 model). I notice there are less memory slots installed on the 2005 one. Is this new board compatible with my G5? Any problems I should be aware of when changing this? Many thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do not think so. Different boards, different memory and completely different system bus speed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My old G5 logic board has failed and I want to change it - it is a 2004 model 820-1592A one. The new one I have acquired is a 820-1760A (2005 model). I notice there are less memory slots installed on the 2005 one. Is this new board compatible with my G5? Any problems I should be aware of when changing this? Many thanks :)

Some Powermac G5's had 4 ram slots...and some models had 8 ram slots.

FYI...different Powermac G5 models also used different power supplies. This can mean:

- different cable lengths
- different cable connectors
- potentially different voltages/voltage levels

Bottom line...swapping Powermac G5 logic boards (different models) is not always very easy. Must do your "homework" ahead of time.

And with many Powermac G5's selling for around $100-$125 bucks (complete)...going thru the hassle of swapping logic boards in many cases isn't really worth it.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fa
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model
Thanks Nick - They are not so cheap over in the UK - typically $200 and more .. Picked up a logic board and CPU board for $46 so willing to see what I can do with these.

Is there a source of part numbers for Power Macs on the web?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick - They are not so cheap over in the UK - typically $200 and more .. Picked up a logic board and CPU board for $46 so willing to see what I can do with these.

Everything in the UK seems to be 2x the price in the US. So $200 in the UK is like $100 in the US.;)

Add your location to your profile...then we know where you are located.:) Otherwise we usually talk in US dollars.

Is there a source of part numbers for Power Macs on the web?

Try Powerbookmedic.com.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.