iOS7 on iPad

Reaction score
iOS 7 Heartaches
Hello to all! Forgive my 'newness' - I'm afraid this site is going to be used as a vent for my anger at Apple! As a bit of background, I have used a Mac of some sort since the early nineties and now use a 21.5in iMac which is great. Currently I am on my second iPad (3) running iOS 7 -This in my view is the biggest botched OS update I can remember!! I thought Apple had done their worst when they rehashed iTunes and removed Cover Flow, I have many other issues with iTunes, but that would be a whole other chapter!
Presumably, when this mess is sorted I will be very wary of updating the next major iOS to come along!! - Does anyone agree?
Just in case any one requires specificity with issues;

Mail links no longer take you to Safari.
Settings app has crashed twice (so far).
TED app has also crashed twice.
iOS 7 seems to drain the battery.
Most other apps appear less stable.
App Store doesn't display 'updates'
Updates seem to take forever to download AND I have around 25 to download just to be compatible in most cases with iOS 7!!!

M

MacInWin

iOS 7 Heartaches
Hello to all! Forgive my 'newness' - I'm afraid this site is going to be used as a vent for my anger at Apple! As a bit of background, I have used a Mac of some sort since the early nineties and now use a 21.5in iMac which is great. Currently I am on my second iPad (3) running iOS 7 -This in my view is the biggest botched OS update I can remember!! I thought Apple had done their worst when they rehashed iTunes and removed Cover Flow, I have many other issues with iTunes, but that would be a whole other chapter!
Presumably, when this mess is sorted I will be very wary of updating the next major iOS to come along!! - Does anyone agree?
Just in case any one requires specificity with issues;

iOS 7 seems to drain the battery.
Most other apps appear less stable.
App Store doesn't display 'updates'
Updates seem to take forever to download AND I have around 25 to download just to be compatible in most cases with iOS 7!!!
Nice rant. Kinda useless except for personal satisfaction, as none of us here are from Apple. It would help if you would give more information on what exactly is happening with your system, however on some of the points we can help.

IOS 7 drains the battery - See this article for some changes to the default setting that save battery. Number one is screen brightness, followed by auto update, update in background and location services. My battery life is actually better than IOS6 with the minor adjustments.

Most other apps appear less stable - Almost every app I had required an update to work with IOS7. Have you done that?

App Store doesn't display "updates" - Yes, it does. In fact, instead of displaying apps that need updating and then having them disappear when updated, they continue to display after updating so you can see what's been updated. If they show on the update page, they are either updated or need to be. The way to tell which is to look at the boxes on the right. If it says "Open" then it's been updated automatically.

Updates seem to take forever to download AND i have around 25 to download just to be compatible in most cases with IOS 7!!! - Yep, you need to update them to work with IOS7, it goes with the territory when the OS is updated, every time. It may be faster to use iTunes to do the download, then connect the iPhone by USB cable and update it that way. That's how I got the bulk of them done. I had disabled app update over cell to not drive my data use through the roof, so when I do a wireless update, it's at least at WiFi speeds.

These three:

will need more information to figure out. TED will probably work when updated, I've never had problems with Settings crashing and I don't understand exactly what you mean by the mail issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Please accept my sincere apologies for the rant-which I hope Apple staff might read, otherwise how do they know how the public feels as they have no 'feedback' button I can find.

Anyway, after several hours of heartache and sighing I seem to have finally updated my apps which amounted to nearer 40, not as I first stated!.
One thing, the App Store icon on my iPad screen USED to display a number inside a red dot which would always prompt me to update immediately......Never in my life would I allow these to accumulate to that volume!
I had to use the iTunes app to update as I was getting nowhere fast even trying a single app at a time

M

MacInWin

Well, pretty much EVERY app needed to be updated to the new IOS7 standards, so I'm not surprised you had to do that. I had seen just about every app I had updated in iTunes in the run-up to the IOS7 launch, and then many of them after the launch. So even if you hadn't updated to IOS7, the apps would have shown as needing update. iTunes updating is much faster than OTA, at least if you have a reasonable speed connection through iTunes. The new App Store functionality is that it can automatically download the updates for you, if you let it, so the number won't show because as soon as it detects an update, it installs it. If you don't want that, go to Settings/Itunes & App Store and scroll down to turn off Automatic Downloads. I have them ALL turned off as I use iTunes to sync, but you can set what you want done automatically and what you don't. Also check to see if the Use Cellular Data is on or off to control how this automatic download eats up your cell data.

Reaction score
At least you can update.

Bought the Ipad 1 in June, 2010 and couldn't update past iOS 5.1.1

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Jake....at least now things feel more like normal. Yes, I do think updating through iTunes is much faster. Now I can love my iPad 3 again. I just wish Apple would allow us to delete pictures we don't want. Hopefully that will come on a future minor update.
Thanking you once again for your time and effort replying to my rant!

MattMac7

C

chas_m

Can you clarify what you mean by "delete pictures you don't want?"

As far as I know, you can of course do this.

OP
M
Reaction score
Photos

No, you cannot- The 'dustbin' only appears with certain photos, and if you attempt to edit & save, you end up with both. I find it very frustrating as I have far too many which take up too much drive space on my iPad. Currently I think the combined space is around five or six Gb!

I do Hope Apple will soon resolve this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2
This was something I found very frustrating when I got my first iPhone, years ago. It seems any pictures that are sync'd to the device through iTunes can't be deleted on the device. If you have a folder of pictures on your hard drive that you set to sync via iTunes, the only way to delete them on your device is to delete them in the folder on your hard drive and then sync and iTunes will remove the deleted one(s) from the device.

OP
M
Reaction score
That would be within iPhoto then? - Which is an app I rarely use....But, I'm sure you are absolutely correct.
It is such a pain though that for such an intuitive system you should have to use a 'ham-fisted method like that. Surely, for a software designer- adding a universal bin, or trash can would be a minor adjustment?

M

MacInWin

What I have done is set up for iTunes to sync only pictures I put in a particular folder. I cleverly named it "Photos to Sync" so my pea-sized brain would remember. Then in iTunes, with the device attached, select Photos under the device and specify that folder as the only one to sync. If you want, you could set up folders for each device to have different pictures on your iPhone, iPad, etc. Since i sync through iTunes frequently, all I need to do is delete the picture from the folder on the MBP and it disappears on my iDevice at the next sync. The downside to this is that I have to COPY the picture to the sync folder if I don't want to delete it from the MBP, but I don't have too many pictures I want to keep, so the duplicates in the sync folder aren't a real hassle or space hog.

It would be nice to delete from the iDevice, but I guess the developers were concerned that you could accidentally delete it from the iDevice not realizing that when you sync the next time it would be deleted from the MBP. If that happened, you could lose the picture altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What I have done is set up for iTunes to sync only pictures I put in a particular folder. I cleverly named it "Photos to Sync" so my pea-sized brain would remember. Then in iTunes, with the device attached, select Photos under the device and specify that folder as the only one to sync. If you want, you could set up folders for each device to have different pictures on your iPhone, iPad, etc. Since i sync through iTunes frequently, all I need to do is delete the picture from the folder on the MBP and it disappears on my iDevice at the next sync. The downside to this is that I have to COPY the picture to the sync folder if I don't want to delete it from the MBP, but I don't have too many pictures I want to keep, so the duplicates in the sync folder aren't a real hassle or space hog.

It would be nice to delete from the iDevice, but I guess the developers were concerned that you could accidentally delete it from the iDevice not realizing that when you sync the next time it would be deleted from the MBP. If that happened, you could lose the picture altogether.

Thats what I do and it works quite well and it really is not that bad since I sync the phone and pad once a week so as not to lose anything should disaster hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although I just checked chas_m is correct their is a trashcan in the bottom right corner after photo is selected that will send to trash.

OP
M
Reaction score
Photos

Although I just checked chas_m is correct their is a trashcan in the bottom right corner after photo is selected that will send to trash.

Yes, but not all photos show the trash can, which is my contention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but not all photos show the trash can, which is my contention.
The only photos on mine that do not show the trash can are the ones I have flagged.

M

MacInWin

I tested it too, and MattMac7 is correct. On my iPhone, only ONE picture has the trashcan. All other, not there.

EDIT: It appears that pictures I have taken with the phone, but not synced, have the trashcan. Those synced do not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.