ipod 5 video mods...

Reaction score
wow... i'm pissed! got the new hard drive yesterday. installed it, get the sad face and says very low battery. it wont hold a charge and it doesnt show up on my computer or itunes so i can restore. what the **** did i do wrong! i bought a new lcd, battery and a hard drive for this ipod. i charged the battery all night. when i unplug the ipod, the screen slowly fades out to black. plug it back in and i get a very dim apple symbol then the sad face. went into diagnostic mode... says battery is at 3908 mha. very odd.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 341 views are very likely Google hits and not from our forum members. How about telling us which iPod you replaced the hard drive to? I'm assuming you may be referring to an iPod Classic?

If I remember correctly, I had the same problem when I replaced the hard drive on an older iPod mini. But in my case, the logic board had sustained some damage when the iPod was dropped.

OP
M
Reaction score
the ipod is a 5th generation video 30 gb. i think it's the battery. i took the battery out and the ipod will cut on with no battery in it. well... it goes into trouble shoot mode. shows sad face and then will say low battery please wait. im thinking the new battery installed has a crappy wire connect. will an ipod power on with the case not in contact/seperated? i'm thinking there is a push sensor on the case. taking this ipod apart... i slightly bent the internal bezel case that holds the hard drive and mother board. so the case doesnt have a great seal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you could well be right. Check the layout at iFixit: The free repair manual to see if you have everything where it should be. To be honest, I'm not a happy camper with Apple's iPods. I've wasted more money on the 5th and 6th generation Nano iPods whose batteries are lucky to last one year and are almost impossible to replace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.