iPad as second display -- Air Display

Reaction score
So I've been using Air Display to use my iPad as a second monitor but there is a fair amount of lag with the app and it' definitely doesn't feel like a second monitor.

Are there any alternatives to Air Display that run smoother?

Or better yet, is there anyway to hook up your iPad via USB or some other means to function as a second display -- I feel like running over Wifi, it is inevitable that there will be issues.

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just curious. What are you using the iPad as a 2nd display for (what other device)?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Just curious. What are you using the iPad as a 2nd display for (what other device)?

- Nick

macbook pro
1174681_10200798718514466_2080518362_n.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh...very interesting. Since you are using your MacBook Pro at a desk...why not just get a traditional flat panel external monitor. They're:

- inexpensive
- don't take up much space
- you get more screen real estate
- and you're certainly going to get MUCH better performance

Air Display is a pretty cool idea. But you shouldn't suffer performance issues if you don't have to.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
the reason for that is because sometimes i often use my ipad adjacent to the my laptop. i will watch a video on my laptop and take notes on the iPad. but for the times that I just want to use the computer, i'm looking for a better alternative to air display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which generation iPad do you have (1, 2, 3, or 4)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Faster Air Display

Hi. There are a couple of things that you can do to dramatically increase the performance of Air Display.

(1) Upgrade to 5-GHz Wi-Fi. If you're running on an all-5GHz Wi-Fi network (802.11n) you'll have much much faster performance. The best thing you can do to have overall better browsing experience and better video streaming and of course a more reliable Air Display connection is to buy a new Apple Airport Extreme base station and throw your old Wi-Fi router away.

(2) Move your router. If your router is a few rooms away, you'll probably have much better results by moving it closer to your computer or extending your Wi-Fi network with an additional Airport Express that's nearer to the computer.

(3) Communicate over USB. We don't recommend this because it requires jailbreaking, but some of our users have reported success with this technique.

Cheers,
Dave at Avatron

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks Dave!

I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions that are more portable (ie. if i wanted 2 use dual display at starbucks) -- aside from jailbreaking and using USB.

and yes, i'm aware of using an ad-hoc network. again, this tends to be rather laggy

Hi. There are a couple of things that you can do to dramatically increase the performance of Air Display.

(1) Upgrade to 5-GHz Wi-Fi. If you're running on an all-5GHz Wi-Fi network (802.11n) you'll have much much faster performance. The best thing you can do to have overall better browsing experience and better video streaming and of course a more reliable Air Display connection is to buy a new Apple Airport Extreme base station and throw your old Wi-Fi router away.

(2) Move your router. If your router is a few rooms away, you'll probably have much better results by moving it closer to your computer or extending your Wi-Fi network with an additional Airport Express that's nearer to the computer.

(3) Communicate over USB. We don't recommend this because it requires jailbreaking, but some of our users have reported success with this technique.

Cheers,
Dave at Avatron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Are you using the retina resolutions? Do you have the HiDPI setting checked? I have found that these make a big difference.

There are many options to try before "throwing the old router away" as suggested in a previous post. Look at your wifi channel and if necessary choose one with less congestion.

Depending on your router, you could have a antenna gain setting. Check what power you are using if you have that option.

Post back and let us know what you find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.