All browsers drop connection to server or receive no data, how do i fix this?

Reaction score
When I go on any browser I have insalled on my macbook air almost 90% of the time it says for safari "server has unexpectedly dropped the connection" and for google chrome it says "no data received" or "sll connection error". I have cleared all cookies deleted history and cleared just about everything that can be cleared on both browsers. This did not help at all. Any way to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The difficulty in resolving these kind of issues lies in finding the root cause of the connection loss. We need to determine the point of failure so if you could answer each of these questions it would be helpful:
1. Which MacBook Air do you have?
2. Which version of OSX?
3. Is OSX up to date?
4. Do you connect over wifi?
5. Which wifi do you connect to? (hom/office/public coffee shop etc)
6. Does it behave the same on different wifi networks?
7. When you get the error in the browser(s) do you still have an internet connection? (e.g. can you still use an email application or check for software updates?)
8. If connected by wifi does the wifi icon up by the clock show you're still connected to wifi at the time of the problem.
9. Do you have other devices that can connect without issue at the same time you're having issues on the MBA?

OP
B
Reaction score
1. 13inch late 2010
2. OS X 10.8.5
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. home
6. yes
7. Yes
8. yes.
9. Yes my computer is the only one with the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's very odd that everything else works but the browsers. Do you have any third party tools that that manage traffic/AV/anti-malware?

Try resetting your network preferences.

In Finder go to:
yourMacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Rename the preferences.plist to preferences.old

Restart your Mac

Attempt to reconnect to your network and try again

If that doesn't work then do the same thing but for the whole SystemConfiguration folder that the above plist is in.

C

chas_m

I think you're on to something there, MrPlow, with your question about traffic/anti-virus programs. Given that that Boltrag said he/she was having the same issue on other (presumably public) Wi-Fi networks, I think we can rule out the router -- and since the issue is browser-only, I think we can rule out the Mac hardware.

Another option you didn't suggest but I would: Boltrag could set up a fresh new user (even just a "guest account" would do) and see if they have the same problem. I'm guessing the answer would be "no."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.