connecting macbook air to TV

Reaction score
I have an HD TV but only have a standard receiver. Do I need to upgrade to HD to for this connection to work?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have an HD TV but only have a standard receiver.

What does that mean? Are you talking about your audio receiver?

Do I need to upgrade to HD to for this connection to work?
Need to tell us what connection... i.e. what type of port is on the TV &/or audio receiver.

You're also going to have to tell us which MacBook Air you have as there have been multiple video out ports on them over the years.

OP
E
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't more explicit. I have a Macbook Air less than a year old which has a mini display port. I have a mini display port/thunderbolt adapter (with audio) and high speed HDMI cable. ( I may eventually get an Apple TV). My TV has a HDMI port as well as audio ports. ( My problem is not with the connecting. I need to know if my present TV set-up is adequate. I have a fairly new HD TV. However I do not, at present, receive HD via my ISP. I do not have a HD receiver, just a standard digital receiver. Do I need to upgrade to HD for this connection to work? Sorry, I am not very technically literate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you're talking about the cable signal you receive, that will have nothing to do with connecting your MBA to your TV. Are you wanting to use your TV as a 2nd screen or alternate screen? As member bobtomay mentioned, what method/cable you use will depend on your devices.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you are ready to go.

As MmR noted, connecting your Mac to your TV has nothing whatsoever to do with any other external source you may be connecting to the TV. (Unless you don't have enough HDMI ports and need to unplug one device in order to plug in another.)

OP
E
Reaction score
Connecting MBA to TV

Thank you for you reply. I think I now have the answer to my query. Your help is much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.