Is My Video Card Bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Late 2013
Is My Video Card Bad?

My screen suddenly went nuts today. There are streaks, dots and lines over the whole screen. The computer is unusable at this point. I cannot use keyboard or mouse controls.

When I first start the computer the startup screen looks fine. There are no screen artifacts. But then reverts to unusable after start up.

When I boot in safe mode the first grey startup screen has minimal artifacts. Once the computer is up and running it is usable with a slightly messed up display. The mouse and keyboard controls work fine.

I can boot up in Windows 7 using bootcamp. The screen is messed up, but Windows runs with usable mouse and keyboard.

I have taken out my video card, cleaned it, and reinstalled it, but no fix.

So, do I have a hardware failure in my video card?

Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you have a Mac Pro, is there any chance that you can substitute another video card to see if you get the same result?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Late 2013
I have a Mac Pro 1,1. So I was thinking of buying a new Mac Pro in the near future. I think I hurt my computer's feelings and it is getting back at me.

I do not have another video card, and I don't want to put much money into this one.

I may just bite the bullet and buy a new computer since the Mac Pro 1,1 is obsolete anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Late 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I am buying a new computer. No more help is required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.