Printing envelopes in word

Reaction score
I cannot print envelopes in word 2011. I follow all the proper steps (I Believe)
I highlight the send to address, hit envelopes in tools, the preview shows fine. Then when I go to menu, print the print preview is blank and nothing prints on the envelope.
Can someone please help me out. Its driving me crazy.
Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your printer is not setup properly for envelope printing. I have no problem whatsoever with printing envelopes from Word 2011 with my HP LaserJet.

When you select "Tools", "Envelopes", an envelope print dialog box should open where you can select and change the return address, sender address, and so forth. At the bottom of the dialog there's a box that says "Printer Options". Make sure you select "use settings from your printer".

Again, if your printer is not setup properly for envelopes, you'll likely get the blank like envelope error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
chscag has given you the step by step instuctions. Just to chime in and say my Epson 3540 prints them from Word 2011 just fine.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick responses. I have an epson workforce 645 and i was able to print envelopes no problem when i was using windows with office 2010. now that i got a mac and am using office 2011 for mac, I cannot print envelopes. I am following the directions exactly and my envelope still is blank when it prints. I even updated my drivers thru epson for mac OS. Are there any special settings I have to set or change?
I am highlighting sent to address, going to tools, envelopes, my envelope then shows as a word doc and the address shows with my return address. When i go to file, print and the preview screen comes up the envelope is blank.
Thank you again and be safe.

OP
F
Reaction score
Just an update, I have no problem using the create label function, just envelopes so I don't think it's the printer. Is it possibly a word problem?
Thank you again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what to tell you... I have three printers: An Epson, HP, and Canon. Envelopes work as they should with Word 2011. I also have Word 2010 (Office 2010 for Windows) and no problem there either.

If the envelope is showing up blank when you preview, it has to be a problem with your printer, or the way you're loading the envelopes in the printer, probably not Word.

OP
F
Reaction score
Problem fixed. I searched other threads and found out that it IS a WORD problem. In the printer preferences for WORD you have to have the "include drawing objects in document" box checked.
All works fine now.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the printer preferences for WORD you have to have the "include drawing objects in document" box checked.

Glad you resolved it but here's the strange part..... I do not have that selected, yet envelopes print just great on all three of my printers. That selection "include drawing objects in document" has nothing to do with envelopes, but is used primarily when Word is doing layout or for publishing. But if it works for you...... ;)

Reaction score
Blank Envelope issue in Word For Mac

Glad you resolved it but here's the strange part..... I do not have that selected, yet envelopes print just great on all three of my printers. That selection "include drawing objects in document" has nothing to do with envelopes, but is used primarily when Word is doing layout or for publishing. But if it works for you...... ;)

I had the same problem. I was getting blank preview and nothing would print. After I check the box "Include Drawing Objects" it began to work AGAIN!. I say again, because it had been working properly all along, until the most recent office update. That was 14.5.7 updated the week of October 19, 2015. It had worked perfectly until that update.
Thanks for your help. I am now back in business!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.