Why can't go online with ios 7

Reaction score
I just updated to ios 7 on my iPhone. Now I can't go online. Setting gives me "renew lease" message. I should be able to go online anyway with my data plan. What does renew lease mean.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Renew lease refers to your IP address and should only be for your WiFi connection, not your cellular connection.

Can you confirm that the cellular data option is enabled? Also disable WiFi and see if you can get to the Internet..

M

MacInWin

When your iPhone negotiates with a router for connection, it "leases" an IP address from that router. "Renew Lease" means that the lease time for that IP has expired and that it needs to be renewed to gain Internet access.

You didn't say what cell phone provider you are using, but on my Verizon 4s there is a cellular IP assigned by Verizon to the cell data side. WiFi gets an IP from whatever hotspot it finds; in my home that's my WiFi router. So I have two IP addresses. What Ashwin suggested will eliminate the WiFi as the source of the renew lease message. If it goes away, the problem is with whatever router you are trying to use. If it reappears, it is the lease from you cellular provider that needs renewing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.