Java Programming ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I'm starting to learn java programming and want to use version 1.7 or >. Here is what a command line search java -version gives me:
java version "1.6.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-457-11M4509)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-457, mixed mode)

Can I install Java 1.7 without problems? I want to install Eclipse as well. I don't think these are avalible form the apps store. Do I get them from the java web site and download from there ? Most of all I don't want to mess up my OS X.

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yep, you can get it from Oracle directly - that's not going to mess up your machine. You can get it here.

Note - there's nothing wrong with getting things that come from outside of the App Store. In fact, a fair amount of really good software is only available outside of the MAS.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks vansmith for the info. Have 7jdk and eclipse installed. Now for the fun part trying to learn how to use it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eclipse is a lot harder to use than I thought. Looking now for a tutorial to use for a beginner. Learning to use eclipse may be harder than Java.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Eclipse is overkill for novice developers. You might want to try something like IntelliJ or if you really want to go simple and learn the compilation/test process, build and debug from the command line. You could also give NetBeans a whirl - it's somewhat complex but might be easier to understand.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Vansmith I will check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
As a Java enthusiast (but who doesn't have that much time) and used both Netbeans (for a short time) and Eclipse, I'd say Eclipse is better. And actually does not have a very steep learning curve.

If you are determined to use Eclipse, one thing I'd suggest is, learn it while you are learning Java. You can solve the problems as they occur. Eclipse community is a nice and big place where the problem you encounter was already encountered by many, and thus, solved by many in so many different ways. Sites like stackexchange have tons of questions about Eclipse as well, which means you won't have any difficulties when it comes to problem solving.

Unless you don't move your whole project set to another place or decide to use an older JDK with projects you used a newer one, Eclipse does not cause much problems.

Eclipse add-ons might a little pain sometimes. Like, WindowBuilder Pro, a somehow buggy plugin to visually design windows using Swing. Of course, I bet people already encountered the problems you are going to encounter.

All I'm trying to say is, don't try to master Eclipse. You'll master it as you are mastering Java. It is not as overwhelming as it seems.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Thanks vansmith for the info. Have 7jdk and eclipse installed. Now for the fun part trying to learn how to use it.

Having used eclipse a fair bit myself I decided to try netbeans and now I prefer that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.