CPU Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi to everybody!
Is possible to try a table, a list, with all possible cpu upgrade for each Apple model?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is definitely possible, and once you're done with it be sure to share it with us..:)

OP
G
Reaction score
It is definitely possible, and once you're done with it be sure to share it with us..:)

I made a first search with wikipedia and consider a list of same family cpu (ex. C2D) and then cpus of the same "subfamily" (ex. "Merom").
But I think this kind of search is too generic: I know, for example, then I can replace my microprocessor T7400 with a little powerful T7600 (Apple itself offered this like option). However, I'd know a more complete list with options possibles: Apple, obviously, doesn't offer this of support or a tool to evaluate all possible options to upgrade; they are against every kind of DIY operation and they also don't support machine older than 5 years. In my situation I'm completely out of their interest!
But also in their community I tried absurdities: people say, for example that the cpu is soldered on the motherboard...... Crazy things! They say the only way to upgrade an Apple is buying a newer one (referred to cpu upgrade). These are specious falsehoods.
So I'm trying if someone knows a tool with these data.
I hope I was clear (I'm not english mother tongue:p).
Bye!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are indeed some Macs that have the CPUs soldered onto the logic boards while others aren't. But the CPU upgrade isn't the ONLY thing you need to worry about and even if you could, you'd have to stay with the same family but perhaps a faster chip.

You couldn't randomly change to a different family based just on the socket type since the supporting chips and bus speeds would not work at all..

At the end of the day, if you want a particular CPU in your Mac, you should order it from Apple in that format.

The things you can upgrade yourself are RAM (depending on MAC), HD, Video card (Mac Pro's only)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.