Slow Word document

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a problem with my Mac:Word 2011 which is running extremely slow as in I can't even scroll up and down in the pages properly. It's 61mb and loaded with pictures, its for a brochure. What can i do to fix the slowness

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That is quite a HEAVY word file you have there..and the heavier the file gets, the clunkier the application is going to get..you might want to rethink your application of choice for what you are trying to do..

Word can get very inefficient when you start loading it up with lot of pictures..there are other programs that are better suited to creating brochures and newsletters and might work out better for you..

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Can you give me examples of good programs for this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple Pages would be my recommendation, you can grab it from the Mac App Store for $19.99..

Check out this old video of what you could do with it..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's 61mb and loaded with pictures, its for a brochure. What can i do to fix the slowness
At that size, nothing. ;)

61MB, as Raz0r mentioned, is absolutely huge for a Word file. Thus, you'd be better doing something in a program better suited to brochures. If that's not an option, scale down the quality of the pictures (if possible). This might help to lighten the load for Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Van. Pages nor any other word processor program, even those that can handle layout such as Pages and Word can keep up with a 63 MB document loaded with graphics. One other suggestion is to break the document into smaller segments if possible and edit that way.

Most authors who must edit large documents with graphics use Scrivener which is designed to handle them.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I think I will get Pages if that is what you suggest. The problem is that I have already made the whole brochure on word but i just need like water marks on every single page now :/
But something is wrong. Even when i open another word-document and insert a picture to work with (remove background) it works extremely slow. Just 1 single picture 7,6 mb ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think I will get Pages if that is what you suggest. The problem is that I have already made the whole brochure on word but i just need like water marks on every single page now :/

I do not recommend Pages for large documents. Also, there is a matter of compatibility if you exchange documents with other users of Office. As I stated above, the only WP program designed to handle large documents is Scrivener.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Even when i open another word-document and insert a picture to work with (remove background) it works extremely slow. Just 1 single picture 7,6 mb ?
That's still quite a bit. I just added 10.3 MB of pictures to a blank Word document and saw some minor lag on a machine with 8GB of RAM and an SSD (suggesting that there were few read bottlenecks or memory issues).

Word (and perhaps Pages but I don't use this so I can't speak to it with any certainty) is not really designed to handle that much visual content. It will happily add it but Word's speciality is...well, words.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.