Converting PDF to JPEG on Mac for book editing

Reaction score
I just upgraded my IMac to OSX 10.6.8, purchased 2007, I am an author and need to rewrite my book and update, its in PDF format from my previous PC, need to cnvert and editenot lose content and add stuff, how do I do that?

OP
G
Reaction score
post #63

I received your reply, how do I install the bash item you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Whoa, that is an intensely hardcore solution, gsahli. There is an easier way. Just open your file in Preview and hit Export from the File menu. There you'll find an option to convert your file to JPEG.

If I read your OP right that's what you want to do, correct? Preview has been able to convert file formats for as long as I've been acquainted with Macs, so it should be available in your legacy version, as well. Apologies if I'm wrong. If that's the case carry on and I hope you find a good solution...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I think he wants a solution that creates individual pages from a book.
I don't know, maybe Preview will do it -- never tried a multi-page pdf.

grouston - you need to install Apple's XCode development system, then run the commands, as shown, in Terminal to install ImageMagic. (you may have to register as a developer to download XCode):
https://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/

C

chas_m

I just upgraded my IMac to OSX 10.6.8, purchased 2007, I am an author and need to rewrite my book and update, its in PDF format from my previous PC, need to cnvert and editenot lose content and add stuff, how do I do that?

I am a little unclear on how converting your book to JPG will help you in any way at all.

Far, far easier (if a little bit of rewriting is all that's required) is to use Acrobat (the pro version) to open and edit the PDF directly. Alternatively, there are plug-ins for InDesign and Quark that can probably turn your PDF back into an editable document.

It's surprising to me that you (apparently) failed to keep an editable copy of the book around for this eventuality, but the above solutions should work better than converting to JPG, which will change or help nothing that I can see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Yeah, I didn't know how converting the file to JPEG would make things any easier. They're not more editable than PDF, but I figured he had his own reasons and who was I to question, so I offered the easiest solution I could think of...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
PDF pen from Smilesoftware? PDFpen: Mac PDF Editor - Edit, Sign, and Correct PDFs.

I concur with Chas_M - how would converting to .jpg enable editing of text? The Preview idea, using Annotate, could work if the OP wishes to insert text beside/over/under images, but he says "edit".

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking time to advise me. The reasoning behind my question was partly due to ignorance in this area, I have the JPEG version but no pictures, the PDF has pictures, thus editing the pDF would be easier but the cost comes into play, PDF stuff is expensive. I also wanted to use the same format, fonts, cheapter layout, keep it all the same just update, edit, maybe ad a couple pictures then have it ready for the printer in PDF.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@BonziRafer

Thank you for the post.

I guess that the original poster has solved their problem, or given up, as it is 3.5 years since the question was posted.;D

Ian

Reaction score
Hi grouston,I think you can try following methods:

Free Online Converters: PDF Converter, ZAMZAR

Offline PDF to Image Converters: Adobe Acrobat, Apple Preview

Another Free Way: Google Docs

Professional third-party app: Cisdem PDFConverterOCR for Mac

Hope it could be helpful for you. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you see how old this thread is Jenny?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.