seeking advice upgrading from Verizon 5.1.1 jailbroken 4S to 5 perhaps jailbroken

Reaction score
I currently have a Verizon 4S jailbroken and running 5.1.1. It is out of contract.

I want a 5 or 5S with Verizon. I'd like to be able to jailbreak it, but that's not a deal breaker.

I currently have a grandfathered Unlimited Date plan with Verizon, and I'm under the impression that if I upgrade solely through Verizon then they will take that away and put me on the Limited Data plan. Does anyone know if this is true? Will this also happen if I just sell my 4S elsewhere and buy a 5 elsewhere and just take it to Verizon to get it programmed?
I'd really like to keep my unlimited data.

Any and all advice on how to get where I want to be is appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I currently have a Verizon 4S jailbroken and running 5.1.1. It is out of contract.

The reason you are still on an unlimited data plan is because you're "out of contract" and continue to use their network month to month. I believe if you buy a subsidized 5s or 5c through Verizon, that will initiate a new contract and you will lose the unlimited data plan. I might be wrong about that so be sure to check with Verizon customer service first.

If you buy an unlocked 5 or 5s elsewhere and activate with Verizon that should not initiate a new contract. But again ask Verizon customer service first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.