Reboot keeps all previous windows open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
In Mountain Lion it seems that when I reboot, all of my windows pop back open including my web browser. Is there a way to turn this function off?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In Mountain Lion it seems that when I reboot, all of my windows pop back open including my web browser. Is there a way to turn this function off?

Yes. When you restart/reboot the computer...a window pops up to confirm that you want to restart. In that window there's a check-box that say's..."Reopen windows when logging back in".

Deselect this box.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And quit programs from the Menu Bar rather than closing via the red button.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. When you restart/reboot the computer...a window pops up to confirm that you want to restart. In that window there's a check-box that say's..."Reopen windows when logging back in".

Deselect this box.

- Nick

Tried this and the apps -- mp3 player, Audioscrobbler and Chome (all last open apps) -- stay open upon restart and when I click and hold down, it says "Application not responding." :Angry:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Tried this and the apps -- mp3 player, Audioscrobbler and Chome (all last open apps) -- stay open upon restart and when I click and hold down, it says "Application not responding." :Angry:

Ok...try this. Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Users & Groups
- click on the "Login Items" tab

This should bring up a list of the apps you mentioned above. Remove them by highlighting them...and using the minus button (-) at the bottom of this window.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...try this. Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Users & Groups
- click on the "Login Items" tab

This should bring up a list of the apps you mentioned above. Remove them by highlighting them...and using the minus button (-) at the bottom of this window.

HTH,

- Nick

They're not there in Login Items. Anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
They're not there in Login Items. Anything else?

And quit programs from the Menu Bar rather than closing via the red button.

Try Harrys idea. I never shut down without closing EVRY App open. If need be, use the Command + Option + ESC and then Highlight them all and Force Quit them all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.