Buying new MBP. Several questions.

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for reading this.
We currently have at home a 2007 15” MBP, 2007 iMac, 2010 15” MBP and several iPod touches 4 gen.
The high speed Internet provider is Comcast.
We have a modem from Comcast and a 2007 Airport Extreme is our router.
As a backup system I do an at least a daily clone+ separated partition for data (CCC) to 2 1TB Mercury Elite Pro Classics with FireWire 800 (alternating, every other day backup to the same HD) (hope I explained it clearly).

I am planning to replace my 2007 MBP with a new 15” rMBP and was wondering what I can/need to do for:
a- Taking advantage of the new MBP and its features, regarding peripherals and so.
b- Solve some old/bothering issues/questions.

I use Chrome and when I open a new page/renew an older one, the wheel at the top of the tab spins for a while until it “starts”. (Internet a bit slow) (router?)
From my front yard (about 45’-55’ from the router) I don’t have any reception, no internet, while I see several of my neighbor’s networks (including some pretty far from me) on the WiFi.
Do I need to replace the router/add some additional equipment? Where do I start?

I back up to 2- 1TB HD’s with FireWire. Is there a way for me to do the backups wirelessly from all my computers somehow to the 2 hard disks?/Can it be done if I change/add something to my network?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I'd look into the new Time Capsule. Not sure it will have a better network radius, but it will be faster and includes your router as well as your backups - available in 2TB and 3TB flavors.

I currently have 3 TB HD connected to our central iMac and access it over the network (AP Extreme) with the other computers. Each computer has a separate dedicated backup disk.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello MacShane.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate that!
I looked into it and the 3 TB AirPort Time Capsule will solve my wireless backing up "wishes" and as I read in the user reviews, will also improve the range.

As I understood I can even connect my daisy chained 2 HDs and keep doing my CCC clones, this time wirelessly.
Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.
Ted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Glad to help.
Previous Time Capsule models got a bad rap (reliability issues), but the new ones are getting better reviews.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.