iOS 7 disconnects from known wifi network when closed

Reaction score
Just upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.

At work I have access to a password-protected Wifi (eduroam). Every time I close my phone it disconnects from the wireless network and reverts back to LTE.

Is this due to a particular setting, the wireless network, or just a bug in the version of iOS 7?

On a side note, I have chosen most of the settings to conserve battery power found on various sites...only to see my batter lose about 10% in about 10 minutes without doing anything tasking.

M

MacInWin

What do you mean by "close my phone?" What are you doing to "close" it?

EDIT: I just tested my iPhone 4s and it does the same thing when I press the power button to blank out the screen. Not a big deal as it reconnects immediately on waking up. Must be a battery saving feature.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Yes, this is standard behaviour for iOS 6 as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Close = pressing the power button to blank out the screen (I didn't know the proper terminology)

When I activate my phone again it is no longer connected to the wi-fi...even if it has only been "closed" for 1 minute. I have to go to the Settings and re-connect to the wi-fi. So, I was wondering if it is because the network is password protected or is there a setting that I have missed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? Only thing I can think of or find would be if Airplane mode is turned on. It won't auto connect if so.

Are you having to go back in and turn wifi on or just reconnect to the network?

edit:
One other thing I found - if you've ever told it to forget a particular network name - it will not auto join a network by that name - even if it is a different network. Don't know if that is the case here, but it'd be worth trying the same fix.

Instead of selecting the network from the choices - go to 'Other...' and manually put in the network and password. This will cause it to remember that network again.

M

MacInWin

On "Close" I don't know the terminology either, just wanted to make sure it wasn't "power off" that you meant. As for the problem, I think bobtomay just about covered it. As I said, when i tested on my home router, the iPhone disappeared when I pressed the power button and reappeared when I pressed the Home button to activate it.

OP
T
Reaction score
The strange thing is that at home, where my network is also password protected, it connects fine and stays connected all the time.

However, at work, a university, it kicks me off when I "blank the screen". In addition, the network, which is available at several universities in Europe (maybe in other regions too) so we don't have to ask for a password every time we go somewhere else, was kicking me off at random intervals at another university than my own.

M

MacInWin

Sounds like something in THEIR setting that forces a login if connectivity is dropped. At home, it auto logs in when the iPhone is awakened, but at the University, they are forcing a new password entry. Probably for security of their network.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In my experience, eduroam has always been really flaky. At different universities, I usually have to fight with it and when it does connect, it's slower than molasses. Are you able to try this with any other networks at these universities?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.